Portraiture no.2 - oils(suspended)

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Portraiture no.2 - oils(suspended)

Post by PogArtTi »

This is next attempt to paint a portrait.
It's very risky project though, as it is my wife and our niece (as you know, niece is frequently adopted to my arts, lol!!!).
I have started with staining the surface, and I did first free hand attempt to sketch basic outlines, and establish some face features...

It's 12"x16" linen board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: Portraiture no.2 - oils.

Post by PogArtTi »

Well...
Again a good excuse for delay in progress - it's my job...
11 days without any day off, I'm tired.
Today it's my first day off since, so I'm happily sharing this update ๐Ÿ˜‰
Not much though...
Just background and clothes blocking in ...
At least SOMETHING to post, lol ๐Ÿ˜…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

How's it going? Sorry to be late to the party. It's looking good so far. The only thing that might need attention (given that you're no doubt refining this as you work on it) is that Magda's mouth is slanted in the reference, but parallel with her eyes in your rough. That slant gives her a lovely, whimsical smile.

Oh........ I see you agree. :) I just noticed the update, and it's been fixed. Ignore everything above! :oops: :roll:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: โ†‘Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:22 pm That slant gives her a lovely, whimsical smile.

Oh........ I see you agree. :) I just noticed the update, and it's been fixed. Ignore everything above! :oops: :roll:
Lol, it's alright dear friend, lol ๐Ÿ˜‰
You are wise artist, and you know it very well, that painting is nothing else, but process of correcting mistakes.
If things are off, I'm trying get them right at next time,
I'm glad you did approve the Magda's smile little correction.

Anyway I'm suspending this painting for now, as I didn't get use to rough texture of canvas.
For long time I was making my arts on smooth paper...
Unfortunately painting this portrait was nothing, but like painting on gravel in comparison...
I felt the paint is on top of the tooth, not filling up the gaps between, so it was looking just not right to me.
It could be different if I was heavy painter, then great amount of paint would have fill those gaps...
My thin layers of paint just went opposite, so canvas texture isn't perfect choice the way I'm painting...

I'm about to experiment on Claybord Mike.
I'll start new painting to see whether Claybord will give me what I want.
If it goes alright, then I come back to this painting...

Thank you for keen comment Mike.
Take care.

Laurene

Re: Portraiture no.2 - oils(suspended)

Post by Laurene »

I hope you come back to this. Theyโ€™re adorable together!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:57 pm I hope you come back to this. Theyโ€™re adorable together!
I have no choice - I WILL HAVE TO GET IT DONE, or my marriage is in danger ๐Ÿ˜…
Thank you Laurene ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: โ†‘Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:35 pm I have no choice - I WILL HAVE TO GET IT DONE, or my marriage is in danger ๐Ÿ˜…
I think you are a brave man for attempting it at all!

I had enough problems drawing Jenny's dogs. I wouldn't ever dare to draw her! :roll: :oops: :D
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thanks for your comment Mike ๐Ÿ˜…
Yeah - I'm stepping onto a fragile field
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

โ— I am unsure, but you are aware, that I'm already painting it at second go Mike?
The title is - Old project-FRESH start ๐Ÿ˜Š