Coyote WIP

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
Picasso2

Coyote WIP

Post by Picasso2 »

This cheeky coyote in Yellowstone National Park was so engrossed in finding out what was in the long grass, that my husband was able to take a fairly close up photo of her. I am in the process of drawing her using Stabilo Carbothello pastel pencils on Artspectrum
Colourfix paper and would appreciate any suggestions as to anything that might need changing or that could be improved upon.
Thanks
Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Re: Coyote WIP

Post by LindasPencils »

Hi Picasso - I like how this is proceeding. Nice pose and I think putting him in the tall grass works well. I do think that the 'yote is looking a bit flat - the form needs to be built up with shading to create the rounded 'cylinder' shape.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

LindasPencils wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:01 pm I do think that the 'yote is looking a bit flat - the form needs to be built up with shading to create the rounded 'cylinder' shape.
I agree with that, Jean. Look along the length of the back, and you'll see you've correctly drawn the hair as curving over the top away from us. Now look at the belly... That doesn't curve underneath at all. It's the same hair all the way down the side to the bottom of the belly, so it looks like a flat curtain. Add shading, as Linda suggested, and alter the hair. As it curves underneath into the shade, the hairs will gradually become closer and closer to each other - as you did along the back.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Picasso2 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:07 am This cheeky coyote in Yellowstone National Park was so engrossed in finding out what was in the long grass,
Wow!
That's an amazing picture, captured the moment of Coyote being *busy in the grass!
I have no doubt you've decided to draw this special moment Jean 😉
would appreciate any suggestions as to anything that might need changing or that could be improved upon.
You have received pointed suggestions from our experts 💖💖💖 already, so you are aware what direction to take dear friend 😉
I can't wait to see it finished 😁
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. I've been away for two months with very intermittent and unreliable internet access, so have only just now seen these. I will definitely try to put these suggestions into practice after Christmas and New Year, when I will hopefully have more time.
Best wishes for Christmas and 2023
Jean

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Picasso2 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:08 am Best wishes for Christmas and 2023
Jean
HAPPY CHRISTMAS, Jean. Looking forward to you posting more of your delightful work in 2023.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net