Portrait WIP

Welcome to our comfy Lounge - fetch a coffee and plump yourself down on a sofa. This is the place to get to know each other and discuss any subject, art-related or not.
Picasso2

Portrait WIP

Post by Picasso2 »

Hi everyone
I would really appreciate some advice on this portrait, as I am struggling to get the features right. I’m not sure where I’m going wrong and don’t want to fiddle too much and end up only making it worse! I’ve attached the photo from which I’m working as a reference.
Thanks
Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Portrait WIP

Post by Mike Sibley »

Sorry I'm late arriving, Jean. I've been four and half days on a leaky roof... replacing it, :D Finally got back to working on the next video today, which I'm desperately trying to finish this week. Have done the prep on your drawing and have some ideas, but I'll comment tomorrow.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I'm not certain I can help much, Jean. You've opened his eyes, which has altered the expression, and that's throwing off any comparisons I try to make.

However, I lined up the eyes and mouth of both your drawing and the reference. Then I outlined the head on the reference and applied it to your drawing:
JEAN-portraitA.jpg
Your drawing appears to be a little narrow (given that I'm guessing where his hair is on the right-hand side).

The shape of his mouth is not correct:
JEAN-portraitB.jpg
And I think you have the eyes at slightly the wrong angle.
JEAN-portraitC.jpg
And the bridge of his nose is too wide. I'm sorry I can't help more. There are just relatively minor inaccuracies that unfortunately compound to alter his appearance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks Mike
These are all useful observations. Not sure if it is too late to rectify on this drawing without making a mess, but certainly useful observations to look out if I repeat this drawing at some stage.
Regards
Jean
P.S. Do hope your roof is safe and sound now.