VIDEO LENGTH: I'd welcome your comments

Join a discussion, suggest suitable subjects, or ask Mike questions about the videos.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

VIDEO LENGTH: I'd welcome your comments

Post by Mike Sibley »

Just lately, it's been bothering me that the videos are increasing in length. Drawing Hair Part 2 is proving to be very labour-intensive, and it looks as though it will be at least 30 minutes long - and maybe that's too long?

Please let me know your thoughts.

I was going to record the voice-over tonight, but instead I'm looking at ways of cutting it into two. In any case, I've already moved its last section into Part 2, and created a Part 3 to contain the rest. There might even be a Part 4! :shock:

When I view previous videos, even I'm surprised at the amount of content, and realise it's difficult to absorb all that information.

So, I'm considering breaking future videos down into a series of shorter videos - maybe 10 to 15 minutes each.

Do you have problems with the current length?

Do you find you have to watch a video multiple times to absorb the information?

Would you be happier with more 10-15 minute videos?

And
Would you find it helpful to have the transcripts available as PDF downloads?

Please do let me know.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Re: VIDEO LENGTH: I'd welcome your comments

Post by Laurene »

I’m old school when it comes to these things, but I’ll try to give you my perspective. I’ve always used your book and still love referring to it so to answer your last question first, yes I do think that a pdf would be helpful for some people. When we read, we progress at our own speed.

As for the length of the videos, I personally don’t mind the longer videos at all. Yes, I do watch them or at least parts of them more than once but that’s the beauty of having a video. We can pause it if we’re drawing along, and we can rewind as often as we need to.

Having said all that I realize that there may be a generational difference at work here. If some of your younger students are more comfortable with shorter videos then I think that’s the way to go. Whatever makes the process less intimidating is a positive thing I think.

Wish I could help more Mike, but it sounds to me like your instincts are right. You have so many years of experience teaching, I think that you know best.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:08 pm As for the length of the videos, I personally don’t mind the longer videos at all. Yes, I do watch them or at least parts of them more than once, but that’s the beauty of having a video. We can pause it if we’re drawing along, and we can rewind as often as we need to.
That sums up my own feelings too. They can be watched in sections, or watched all the way through, and then watched again, section by section. I was beginning to think that they should be split up into, say, 7-10 minute segments. But then there would be multiple videos to watch, and the link between them (that a longer video has) would be lost.

Also, the current videos are Intermediate level, so they're aimed at the more serious artist.

I deliberately haven't replied for a while (although I've been ill and didn't mean it to be this long!). I can only assume that the lack of comments means that everyone is entirely happy with the way things are.
I realize that there may be a generational difference at work here. If some of your younger students are more comfortable with shorter videos...
When I look at the stats at YouTube, I can see more than a few people bail out early. That's to be expected. In future, when I know I'm going to put one of these videos up on YouTube, I'll record a second script with breaks, so I can split the videos up.

Right now, I'm more concerned with getting Drawing Hair: Part 2 made. It's being a pig! I seem to be taking two steps forward and one back at every stage. I've spent most of today trying to enhance a 2" wide photo, so it's suitable for display on a 24" monitor. What I've got now is usable, but I'm going to have to re-think the sequence and find another way to approach it.... which I think I just have :)
Mike Sibley

ElisabethG

Post by ElisabethG »

I don't think you should worry about length. The videos are really thoughtfully designed and I would be sorry to see the flow disrupted.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

ElisabethG wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:02 pm I don't think you should worry about length. The videos are really thoughtfully designed, and I would be sorry to see the flow disrupted.
Thanks, Elizabeth. Like you, I too feel I'd lose the flow if I broke them into smaller parts. That said, Drawing Hair Part 3 was threatening to exceed an hour in length, so I chopped the end off. That's now forming the base of Part 4 (which is the final part... honest, it is! :) )

My feeling now - in agreement with Laurene - is that any video can be watched in sections, or repeatedly viewed, or dipped into for specific information. I will try to keep the length below 45 minutes, but that's my only rule now.

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts.
Mike Sibley