Jack(Border collie)-oils •FINISHED•

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Re: Jack(Border collie)-oil painting

Post by PogArtTi »

Today I tried my best to match colour, and make the whole body as close matching the reference as possible.
Matching/mixing colour is very tricky and without practice I can only dream I could do it right.

I think it's like my inline skating...
Today I'm running over cracks, uneven edges, potholes, going fast down the street (still working to improve it)carving to calm the speed down...
But I remember how much struggle it was a year ago!
I did quit it because of too many difficulties!
I got back to it this year, and I think I did improve my skills a lot since.
But it's all thanks to the practice...

I think my colour mixing skill will follow similar way.
Everything I'm struggling today, will become much easier next year maybe...

So today I've been blocking in more detailed fur, than before, much more matching the reference regarding colour patches.

Looking at this painting, I got feeling I'm not too far from final strokes 😉
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I've spent time today redefining the fur.
I've done some minor head shaping as well, trying to improve its 3D look.

The fur on the body is meant to be out of focus, I think I've managed to do it more or less accurately...
All the focus will be on the dog head, so I'm preparing to improve details soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Beautiful work Artur! I see so much depth and colour variation in the white areas which is always challenging. Just a small observation, but, my eye is being pulled away from the face a bit by the paw closest to the viewer. Keep going! This is wonderful to see as it develops!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:33 pm Beautiful work Artur!
Thank you for encouragement 😊
my eye is being pulled away from the face a bit by the paw closest to the viewer.
I bet so.., thank you for advice Laurene - you're right.
I'm aware it's detailed, and the white spot is gathering attention.
I did intend to do detailed fur on it, because it's at the front, matching the head in virtual line...
Let see if it will change for any better (less distraction), when I finish the dog face?
Thank you for kind support throughout this work my friend.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

This is very minor update, I need to move there and back to previous photo, to notice difference.
Nevertheless, I spent about 2h working on it today...
I can smell the final strokes already...
All I'm doing now is gentle altering subtle details.
The main thing will be to improve eyes, and shadows to form 3D shape of the body...

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Just carry on improving as I wish to see it finished so bad !!!
My first oil painting after few years!
Wowww 😁😁😁

Many things I wish I could paint better...
I must be happy with what I can 😉

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I am spontaneously blocked by some Internet feature, that recognises my IP address as a threat.
What's happening is it's blocking me posting in here, then it's allowing me randomly, it's usually a next day, but sometimes even longer.
The trouble is - I'm writing some message, story I'd like to share, it takes me some time - then I'm finding out I'm blocked off, and everything is wasted then.

*I just tried to post the above message, and happy to see I CAN POST TODAY 😅

So it's yesterday's work...
Just keep pushing details, improving areas I'm aware of ...
I bet I'll finish it very soon 😉
I wish I could paint it better, but I'm just learning/practicing of how to use paint and brushes, what works-what is not...
Thank you.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I think you’re there Artur. I love it! It’s soulful and alive and I think you captured this dog’s personality very very well. I want to snuggle up with this little beauty 😍

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:02 pm I love it!
It means a lot to me, you do appreciate my efforts, even though I'm sure there's lots of beginner's mistakes, so imperfections.
I can't avoid these, as I'm unable to recognise them.
It’s soulful and alive and I want to snuggle up with this little beauty 😍
Thank you so much Laurene!
---------------------------------------------
*Today I was trying improve shading all over the body...
By glazing 😅
I don't remember last time I was glazing, lol 😅
So I was very gentle, and full off worrying to not damage the painting...

The purpose of today's glazing was adding the shadow to the body, making it fadden, so the dog head may appear more pop, and drive viewer attention first.

So I did eyes in richer blue for the same reason - hoping their colour will gather attention at first place.

I think tomorrow I'm about to finish it...
I'll add highlights to eyes, make some whiskers around the dog mouth, and I'll try improve other the areas if I will know how to 😁

PogArtTi

Re: Jack(Border collie)-oils •FINISHED•

Post by PogArtTi »

FINISHED_22/Sep/2022
I can't do it any better at the moment.
I feel I did what I'm capable of 🤔
Many mistakes involved, hit and miss strokes, my best will to mix colours accurately.., etc.