Jack(Border collie)-oils •FINISHED•

You can post any drawing-based artwork, such as DIGITAL ART, PYROGRAPHY, ENGRAVINGS, SCRATCHBOARD and any other stylus-produced art. We'll even put up with the occasional painting.... if you insist :)
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Jack(Border collie)-oils •FINISHED•

Post by PogArtTi »

...This is beginning to get me back to oil painting..

I did buy designed paper pads for acrylic and oil painting, the brand name is Arteza.
While awaiting for paper to arrive, I did some YouTube research...
Some artist advices, that any watercolour paper can be concidered for oil painting.
At this point I have plenty of Pastelmat paper yet, that I've bought for pastels...
It's sturdy (360gsm), it's smooth too...
Why not?

I think if any heavy paper can be primed for oils, Pastelmat will be good too.

So I did lay down a coat of Liquitex gesso today, and I'm planning repeat it two more times, to get 3 thin layers in total.

The painting will be sister's puppy Jack again.

I hope I do not boring you, by sharing my mistakes, thoughts and life dilemmas 😅 dear friends...

•Winsor&Newton Griffin Alkyd oils
•Clairefontaine PASTELMAT 360g/m2(170lb)
•size 9,5"/12"
•3x Gesso
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: Jack(Border collie)-oil painting

Post by PogArtTi »

On my way to work yesterday I went an *extra mile to the local shop to buy acrylic paint to stain my white (milky) looking gesso...
I've chosen Raw Umber, but I was having a hard time to decide between Raw or Burnt Umber 😅

Why I'm after to share this with you dear friends?

Because I got confused with the effect I've achieved hahahaaaa 😄

I expected to get strong Raw umber colour when mixed to the bottle of my gesso...
So I've started VERY gently adding a small portion of acrylic pasta every time and then...
I WAS SO WRONG!
Lol hahahaaa 😄😄😄

I ended up having no acrylic paint left in the 120ml tube, and my gesso appears in light grey tint, instead of strong dark colour I was worry about 😅

It is first time I did mix acrylic paint to the gesso...
What a surprice!
Hahahahaaaaa 😄😄😄
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Yes... 😅
I messed it up! 🤣🤣🤣
This morning I realised, that my paper is dead bonded to the board by dried gesso...
I tried to separate it GENTLY - didn't work 😅
So all my effort through last 3 days got wasted 😉

I have 4 days off, and today was the DAY to enjoy oil painting for FIRST time since I did stop practicing it...

Because I was waiting for it so badly, I decided to force gesso's drying time - with the hair dryer 😅

Before attempting it, I did some online research and YouTube, but I didn't see anything related to gesso+hair dryer... 🤔

So I did accept the risk involved, because I want to start sketching today...
At this point I'm sure I can start a rough sketch with graphite pencil this afternoon.
Freshly dried gesso, boosted with a hair dryer, and touch dry - should be just alright for graphite sketching.

Tomorrow I can start placing my first oil strokes then!
Wow!
😁😁😁

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

ARTEZA - just has arrived to my door...
I'm kind of exited to try, and a bit worry at same time, if it really does the job for oil painting as they say...
One think I like, and I think it's a nice touch.., is an subtle linen texture 🤔

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

This Friday was on the BUSY side rather ...
So I could begin free hand outlining late evening...
I did make sure it is touch dry, and attempted gently sanding with fine sandpaper...
Then I've finished sketching outlines 😉
I couldn't wait to begin this project!
Lol 😁😁😁
Free hand sketch needs to be practicing to get good results, so forgive me please if my sketch may be far off from your likeness dear friends...

Tomorrow is a BIG DAY!
I AM ABOUT TO MAKE FIRST OIL STROKES !!!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Yoyyyyy 😁😁😁
I DID IT !!!
- FIRST BRUSH STROKES !!! 🥰🥰🥰
There's NO need 😅 remind me it's just simply BLACK BACKGROUND 🤣🤣🤣
Yoyyyyyyyyy 😁
I'm just overwhelmed - sky high HAPPY 😉

If you interested to watch me enjoying my "art happy corner" - feel free to check it out 😁
https://youtu.be/qHjB-gblu3I

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

LOL, your enthusiasm is contagious! Fabulous background!! :)

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:39 am Fabulous background!! :)
Hahahaaa 😅
I feel like 5 year old right now 🤣🤣🤣
So happy to get back to oils 💖

Regarding background - now IT IS REAL BLACK!!!
I've never been happy before, because it seems with media like charcoal, pastels or graphite based pencils the deep black colour is dimmed, is matte rather than glossy...

I think the pure deep black colour in oils is the one I was looking for to achieve.

The background requires no skills in colour mixing though 😅
Before me is great challenge to paint the dog now!
Hahahaaa 🤣

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Blocking the whole area around with Burnt umber for darks, and Raw sienna for lighter parts.
It's meant to help me get a guide line for further progress...
If you'd like to watch me...
https://youtu.be/rREUlG9xyCY

*Did you know...
The Border Collie is a British breed of herding dog of medium size. Known as the most intelligent dog breed, they are descended from landrace sheepdogs once found all over the British Isles, but became standardised in the Anglo-Scottish border region.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I couldn't wait, lol - I started blocking eyes today yet 😅

*YT channel
https://youtu.be/TJazv-Nrgu8