Sea Otter Eats Squid

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Sea Otter Eats Squid

Post by Mike Sibley »

Your update (that I missed) is looking good. Those little sections of surface tension and highlights really work exceedingly well! They unquestionably mark the junction of otter and water. In the area I marked "B" earlier, those highlights immediately push that area beneath the water. Personally, I'd still like to see that area softened, but that's just me.

I think the lower half of the scene accustoms our eyers to read "dark" as "wet". So, have you considered darkening the water in the top half? That looks so much better without that distracting shape, but if it was darker it would emphasise the edge of the otter's head and push it forwards.

That said, I think your photo is probably lighter at the top than the bottom? I see you're a Nikon guy, I'm a Canon man myself. ;) So, if this is closer to your original, then the water is already defining that edge.
JAY_Sea-Otter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

JayS

Post by JayS »

Thanks Mike. I still haven't figured a way to better define the arm. I guess I'll just stare at it a while!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I guess I'll just stare at it a while!
Well, I've been staring at it. And this might not help - and I might be totally wrong.... but...
JAY_Sea-Otter-PAW.jpg
I do think I see a paw. The arrow would be the elbow. And I think the otter might be clamping the squid between its wrists, which I think makes sense, as it's a big lump of squid.
Here's the area I'm looking at.
JAY_Sea-Otter-PAW-CU.jpg
JAY_Sea-Otter-PAW-LINES.jpg
And I think the green lines are the lump of squid. The blue lines are the approximate edges of the arm. And the red lines outline the paw and claws.
Here's an extreme close-up - with my paw outline for reference. The arrow points to the big claw.
JAY_Sea-Otter-PAW-XCU.jpg
Or maybe I should have gone to Specsavers (UK joke! Means I need new glasses :D)

Right or wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the detective bit :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley

JayS

Post by JayS »

Wow those Specsavers really go to work. I'd better get some!
At the end of the day, I come away wondering if the answer is to just create what I believe to be true...or perhaps decide that most people may not care what the otter's arm is really doing. If I could, I would probably go back to the Newport Aquarium to revision the otter and the squid. Yesterday I discovered that a family of river otters are in the White River about a mile south of my house. I know I will go looking for them. The other part of the lesson is in future outings I will invest more in the photography to try and get what I need, if possible.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

JayS wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:45 pm At the end of the day, I come away wondering if the answer is to just create what I believe to be true...or perhaps decide that most people may not care what the otter's arm is really doing.
I think they will care, because it's a big part of the story. And I'm certain you're correct: invent what you understand. That way, you'll draw it the way it looks correct to you, and that will most probably carry over to the viewers.

Incidentally, I wasn't in any way suggesting you use what I think I see. First because think is the operative word. And second, because I was just enjoying the process of trying to solve the riddle :)
Mike Sibley

JayS

Post by JayS »

Got it. Certainly I will create what I think is there.