"Jack" pastels-(discontinued)

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
PogArtTi

Re: "Jack" - free hand(study)

Post by PogArtTi »

Nicely told indeed!
As I've mentioned already, personally I can see pros and cons, it depends of the subject, and the story the artist wants tell ๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿ˜Ž

As we know, the colour has its importance in our life, we do react differently to colours, which can play a big therapy role...

A quick Google search shows, that even man and woman reacts differently to the colour - I didn't know about it till now...
But when I concider the colours women are dressing...
Men usually choose different colours...

"... In studies, colors have been shown to change alpha brain waves. According to EEG and pulse measuring systems, men and women react differently to colors. When color is transmitted from the eye to the brain, the brain releases a hormone affecting the emotions, mind clarity and energy levels."

What about children?
I bet children books are rich in colour!
Kids must sense them different too?!

I think an addition of the colour in art acts as a direct guide to the viewer mood, because of the subtle sense of how our brain reads colour unconsciously and directly.

We can use it the way the musician piano, by playing exact tones on his instument he's able changing listener emotions, feelings or attitude.
Make them think, make them love, make them sad or aggressive... etc.

As much as I love graphite, I'm always appreciate the colour, which can be useful to guide the viewer throughout our drawing.

Here for example I can put the latest JayS drawing "Little horn".
Our friend artist did his best to create his beautiful drawing, he wanted us (the viewer) to appreciate everything JayS had experienced watching those stunning animals in their natural habitat.
So to JayS the animal was as important as the background, and because the art is drawn in graphite, we all have been a bit challenged to distinguish the foreground from background.
In my opinion it wouldn't be the case if the drawing was in colour...?
The river would be in blue (for example), the hills or mountains in grey, and that black shape dear Mike, that you thought it could be a buffallo or tree, would be more clear to read too...

Following the above, I think the graphite drawing is more about the shapes, light ... *theatre art alike?
Where colours comes to imagination easier?

The black & white art I read differently...
In my opinion it's as much important and unique in our lives, the way we read the artistic nature of the subject.
In black&white we can address all spectrum of emotions too, by playing with shapes, light and dark, values...

All I am after in here, is to express my personal point of view, of what b&w and colour art means to me ๐Ÿ™Š๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Latest update...
Everything I'm doing now it's wet painting.
I have two different solvents for oils, I'm practicing how they work, if they work, how many droplets to dilute the pastel, etc.
I'm learning the brush strokes as well, I'm trying multiple brushes out...
At some point I was painting alla prima, lol ๐Ÿ˜…
I can't believe what I'm doing!
I do enjoy it a lot!
What an experiment!
๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

This is fun! I love the results youโ€™re getting with all of your experiments. Are the eyes done with just dry pan pastel?

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: โ†‘Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:39 am Are the eyes done with just dry pan pastel?
Lol ๐Ÿคฃ Laurene, I don't know who I am anymore ๐Ÿคฃ
Am I drawer or painter ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Only the blue part of eyes is dry technique, the rest (blacks) is supported with wet pastel, because I learnt, that the wet pastel is more opaque, and less keen to get smudged/blended.
So..., for solid prominent colour the *wet works better.

Today's update as follow ๐Ÿ˜…
It seems I did gather some experience already...
๐Ÿค”?
I was more aware of the consistency of diluted paint, also I was more aware of the brush strokes (I bet that proper paint consistency helped) so the single hair were so thin sometime, that I coukdn't believe I am making those tinny hairs myself...
I don't have much experience with pastel pencil hair strokes, but I've done some hair work already while working on *Michal's hair, and in comparison the brush strokes are so thin, very smooth, fine and detailed, and they mimic natural hair so well, where made by pencil, they are a bit thicker, and the appearance is more harsh...
It's dificult to explain what I mean ๐Ÿค”
Lets imagine wet single hair stroke, and then another stroke next to it, done with a dry lead of pencil...
It won't be as smooth, because of powdery nature of the pastel lead...
I'm crap regarding mixing colour to achieve the hue I want, I hope I'll get there too ...

Today I've been practicing hair strokes all around, improving some areas, trying mix colour to match the reference...
I did feel more confident working with brushes today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I think I forgotten to update one crucial to your judgement information - the reference has been postprocessed to my likeness.
After I did sketch the outlines, I have used my mobile app to alter the original photo.
This is the appearance that I've chosen to follow...

As you see, I'm struggling to match the colour, I'm working on it, but years of lack of practice is shown in here...
The underlayer wasn't correct at all, now I'm trying to work it out, but I don't worry too much.
It is an experiment.
I'm learning on it.
I won't be sorry bin it, if my sis don't want to keep it.

The good thing I can see in here, it's my free chand proportion skill ... ๐Ÿค”
It's not brilliant, but I'm not too much off I think.
I'd like to practice free hand drawing, to make it the only way I will be transfering outlines to the paper.
I was lazy for many years, using projector, or grid method or else...
I didn't care for the skill I was given naturally.
The older I get, the more I'm appreciate what I was gifted...

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I have nothing to lose, so I'm mixing colours and trying to learn some, while I still can practice on it...

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

At some point I realised I can't achieve rich black colour with panpastel.
Without vibrant rich blacks, the drawing will lack of depth, and look a bit flat.
I'm about to introduce some darkest blacks I have.

I'm posting two photos of my drawing, one is straight off the camera, the other is after postprocess to alter blacks, and make whole appearance more pleased to look at...

Which of two is better for sharing with you please?

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It's THE END of experiment dear friends.
Just been upstairs, trying to put additional layers of fur - I've failed.

The wet fur strokes just melting into the underlayers.
When I place the stroke the single hair is rather noticeable, but a while later usually becomes a melted spot rather, unfortunately blending and exposing the underlayer...

Instead of creating depth of multiply layered fur, I'm just making muddy looking areas of fur, lacking of details.
This dully looking areas just had killed my interest to carry on.

Having nothing to lose I did couple of strokes with my black pencil over some areas to compare my black pencil to the black panpastel wet layered - the difference is obvious.

At this point I'm not having more interest in painting with wet panpastels.
It was good of trying if it works, and at some point it does, but because of its nature of melting into underlayer it isn't making sense to use this technique for multilayers.

Thank you for following, and sorry I am eding this project at this stage...

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: "Jack" - discontinued...

Post by Mike Sibley »

Well, the thing about experiments is that you learn. And there comes a time when you've learned all you can from that experiment, and it's time to move on.

But you move on with the results firmly under your belt, and very usable.

You'll see at the beginning of FIXATIVE USES that I experimented too... back in the old days. :) And, occasionally, I still do. Because you never know what you might discover, and that it might be a complete game-changer for you.

All that said, I think your final result is quite remarkable, given the amount of experimentation involved. It's a very creditable drawing for all that.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Re: "Jack" - discontinued...

Post by PogArtTi »

Thanks a lot Mike for such kind words...
I know I could build up DRY layers of fur over, to finish that drawing up, I just didn't want to fix it...
I wanted to let it go, and move on to the Raven project - fully in DRY pastels ๐Ÿ˜…
Thank you for keen comment Mike ๐Ÿ˜Š