"The Calling" pastels-(discontinued)

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
PogArtTi

Re: "The Call" - first thoughts...

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:40 am Looking forward to it!
Thanks!
I'm going to delay this one, because I'd like to learn as much as possible on *Jack...
So when I start this project I hope I will know what I'm doing 😅
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: "The Calling" - in pastels

Post by PogArtTi »

You might know I was experimenting with wet pan pastels on *Jack drawing...
I gave it up yesterday.
It wasn't working the way I was expecting to...
Once I have a wet pan pastels experience behind me, I can start the Raven's project, so I know it'll be fully DRY drawing 😅

My reference is related to multiple photos available on Google search.
Originally I was planning to draw the tree, the bird on that tree, or some sort of photo blend, where there would be few (at least two) poses included...
After hardly thinking of the whole, after listening to your opinion, I ended up with a clue, to draw a portraiture of the Raven, where I can focus on expression of the bird itself...

Lets hope it will work...

I've chosen the pose, that works best for my concept plan, and I've begun free hand sketching outlines.
The rest of the bird (feathers) will be my imagination based on the others randomly chosen photos, where birds are young, or adult, random lighting and so on.
I'm not sure if I can get away regardinv copyright rights, at least I'm trying not to follow single photograph, but draw my art having in mind multiple references...
I am aware the copyrights it's grey area, and I'm doing my best guess to avoid making a direct copy based onto one photo only...

Once I was happy with the outline, I started adding random brush strokes, to make a rough sketch of the body, and I did some mapping of the feathers too...

This is how I can see it in my mind.

I decided to do background before I start more work on the bird.
It's because the feathers will be overlapping it, so I don't like to be struggling with background at later stage...

As you remember, I like the drawing to be kind of a drama mood...
I didn't plan the background, I just started layering colours I felt may be appropriate...

At this point I'm trying to find best way of applying the pastels to blend them nicely.
The effort you can see is achieved with hit or miss strokes of sponge, brush, finger...

I'll be happy for any feedback.

A4 Pastelmat, pastels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I couldn't hold back myself, lol 😅
After a dinner I did some more work 😁😁😁
I have added an edge of the wing, as I didn't like a neck sticking out on its own...
I hope the drawing may will benefit...
I've begun adding some more definition to the feathers, also planning ahead of how I like them to appear, etc...
I like the Raven look young, as in my mind he's CALLING for help..., colling his parents...
He's got lost, it's confused, scared and colling in hope they'll come ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Don't know what to say, as I don't know where I'm going to with this drawing.
I'm carry on making more definition and details on feathers, improving background to my likeness...
I can't predict the final effect, as everything is changing while I'm working on it...

*Did you know...
It is not widely known, the common raven is one of the most intelligent of all birds. The raven's intelligence is apparent in its ability to communicate a wide range of messages through its call. It can communicate warning, threat, taunting, and cheer to other birds by varying the sound it makes.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Not much more to say about it really.
I'm improving the whole body of the Raven, I'm trying define the feathers, to achieve damaged look...
So they are in rather uneven order, sticking out too...
Well, I'm trying my best to imagine them in my mind, and kind of follow some accidental textures crated on the surface while making the feathers up...

I am sure, that to show the bird's fear, I need to use his body language too.
Not only the pose, but condition of feathers, their expression etc...

I mean.
Nice looking bird, with lean clean feathers wouldn't fulfill the story I like to tell...

I'm using brushes, pencils, tortillion, and my finger too for blending/smudging 😉.

*DID YOU KNOW...
When it comes to animal intelligence, these birds rate up there with chimpanzees and dolphins. In one logic test, a raven had to reach a hanging piece of food by pulling up a bit of the string, anchoring it with its talon, and repeating until the food was in reach. Many ravens got the food on the first try, some within 30 seconds. If a raven knows another raven is watching it hide its food, it will pretend to put the food in one place while really hiding it in another. Since the other ravens are smart too, this only works sometimes. In the wild, ravens have pushed rocks on people to keep them from climbing to their nests, played dead beside a beaver carcass to scare other ravens away from the feast, and stolen Costco customers’ packaged meats right out of their carts.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Just carry on!
Changing, improving (if I can call *improving what I'm doing in here 😅), detailing if possible...
Today the beak, neck and the eye's area was attended 😁

*DID YOU KNOW...
In captivity, ravens can learn to talk better than some parrots. They also mimic other noises, like car engines, toilets flushing, and animal and bird calls. Ravens have been known to imitate wolves or foxes to attract them to carcasses that the raven isn’t capable of breaking open. When the wolf is done eating, the raven gets the leftovers.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Wow! So your goal was to create a strong feeling of fear and panic and you’ve succeeded wonderfully! A combination of the wide open eye as well as the almost fiery background help create the mood your after. The ruffled feathers were the perfect touch too.

Your raven facts are truly interesting. There are many Native American myths involving the raven and coyote that feature their curiosity, knowledge and mischievousness.

If I can offer an idea, one of the few things that distinguish a young raven from an adult is that the young have blue eyes. They become black with age. Also, the lining of the mouth in young ravens is a pinkish red and it becomes dark in adults.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:39 pm So your goal was to create a strong feeling of fear and panic and you’ve succeeded wonderfully!
Yes, exactly Laurene...
I wanted to express bird's strong emotions...
You see.
The clue of this had begun, where you have wildlife arts, where you can see beautiful animals, strong lions, colourful tigers etc...
At this point, I think the *real life stories are missing on those arts ... 🤔
I wish I could express the other side, the *real life instead, where things aren't perfect, and wild life is rather brutal...
If I can offer an idea, one of the few things that distinguish a young raven from an adult is that the young have blue eyes. They become black with age. Also, the lining of the mouth in young ravens is a pinkish red and it becomes dark in adults.
That's BRILLIANT advice!
Light blue eyes when they're young!
I would not ever knew about it!?
I could guess the pinkish lining perhaps, as many other baby birds showing it as well, but eyes?
Well, I will try to remember this unique adbice in future Laurene - Thank you!
BTW - is this common (eyes colour change) in other birds too?

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

PogArt wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:23 am BTW - is this common (eyes colour change) in other birds too?
Yes, it can be. For example bald eagles’ eyes are quite dark in young birds and they slowly lighten until they reach their golden yellow colour in adults at about 5 years of age. This article explains it well: https://www.audubon.org/news/why-do-bir ... nge-colors

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thank you !!!