"The Calling" pastels-(discontinued)

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
PogArtTi

"The Calling" pastels-(discontinued)

Post by PogArtTi »

I'd like to share some rough thoughts, that bombing my mind...
While finishing up the portrait of "Michal" I'm trying to plan ahead what to draw next?
I have an idea of new drawing, but totally unsure what the outcome.
Years ago I took a picture of a young bird, that was on the tree alone, calling his parents...
I'm thinking to express it in my new project, and I'll be pleased to hear your thoughts too...
At the moment I can see it as a *blended drawing, I mean the calling bird will be somehow overlapping a bit the bottom head of him...
By this I could tell the story better (I think?).
I could express the youth being abandoned and left on its own, show the danger, loneliness , the CALL for help...
Then at the bottom.., the zoomed portraiture of his head only, could express his feelings in his eye...
His sadness, hopeless, awaiting...
If I manage to make this drawing the way I can see it, then I could tell the story I'm after to share...
What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Re: "The Call" - first thoughts...

Post by Laurene »

I get the idea that you’re seeing in your mind and I think it would work.

Just to play the devil’s advocate though, it’s very difficult to show emotion in a bird’s eye as compared to a mammal. I think it’s the lack of the muscles that change our eye shape etc…., so you may need more to convey that feeling of loneliness and sadness.

And, well, since you asked, the tree trunk coming out of his head is a little distracting to me, but I know this is just a sketch.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:41 pm I get the idea that you’re seeing in your mind and I think it would work.
I'm keep concidering it, changing my thought, I'm trying to find the main core of what I want from it...
it’s very difficult to show emotion in a bird’s eye as compared to a mammal.

I bet so!
Well, who said it will be a easy drawing, lol 😅
And, well, since you asked, the tree trunk coming out of his head is a little distracting to me.
It's just an idea taken from my latest photo based experience Laurene, where I can freely play around with multiple photos, blend them together etc...
So it's just some of a clue for the drawing, and the final decision might be totally different...
As I mentioned - I'm carry on changing my mind...
Hard work it is!
Lol 🙈🙊🙉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I get it! I like to plan my compositions using photo software too. It doesn’t have to be perfect to create a spark of an idea!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

That's right, lol ...
My brain is already burning in a fire, because of so many clues - which one to choose!?!
🙉

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

I like the concept Pog, and I am sure you will be able to get some emotion into the bird's eye.
What I am not comfortable with is the tree growing out of the birds head! (like Laurene)
Are you thinking of this to be a realistic rendering of the bird? if so, what type. Bird lovers can be very picky about realistic drawings of birds and want to see every pin feather in its' correct place and each wing correct etc. etc.
But if you do it in more of an inspirational generic style of bird you have a lot more leeway.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:29 am I like the concept Pog
I'm very confused myself...
and I am sure you will be able to get some emotion into the bird's eye.
I'm keep concidering of the eye mimic to express the feeling I'm thinking about dear Linda...
What I am not comfortable with is the tree growing out of the birds head! (like Laurene)
Yes...
It's two of you dear friends, so I am ...
Thank you!
Are you thinking of this to be a realistic rendering of the bird? if so, what type.
In my mind is 50/50 realistic drawing of the Raven or Rook, I haven't decide yet...
It's because Rooks are popular around, but Raven I've seen only at Zoo...
But Raven will be like the Lion King figure, where the Rook won't be as attractive...?
Bird lovers can be very picky about realistic drawings of birds and want to see every pin feather in its' correct place and each wing correct etc. etc.
I'm thinking of hitting two birds with one stone...
I do concider it very realistic (you know me very well Linda), but I'd like to make few feathers on the wing to be drawn as the cut throat (barber razor)...
As I said... - It's my mind project rather, than any photo reference...
But if you do it in more of an inspirational generic style of bird you have a lot more leeway.
I hope so - Thank you...
I hope it will work somehow 🙈
I'm keep thinking to be 100% certain of what I want it to be alike ...
Thank you for your time dear friend...

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

A quick update regarding my latest conciderations...
I did deny the idea of blending a few different points of view into one drawing.
After long time of thinking about the concept, and your suggestions regarding the tree coming kind of out of the head ...
Well.
I think it may have worked for blending few photographs into one, but drawing could be weird if I make it like this.

I did focus onto the emotional expression I like to pass to the viewer.
To do so, the bigger the eye appearance on the page the better.

So - it has to be portrait, showing the bird head rather than whole body.

I'm pretty sure it will be opened beak directed upwards to express THE CALL of the bird, and a very important challenge for me will be the expression of his eye...

I need the eye to be big enough to put more details, to make it noticeable on the drawing, as this is about to help me throw emotions on the viewer.
So I decided to draw it on A3 size.
This is what's blocking me to start the drawing.
I did place the order for larger drawing pages, they'll arrive this week...

So before the pad gets to my door, I started free hand sketch of my sister puppy [Jack-the Border collie].
It's meant to give me some warm up before I start drawing feathers 😊

Expect updates to come soon 🤘😎

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I've received the A3 size pages today.
I'm so exited to begin !!!

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Looking forward to it!