"Michal" pastels-FINISHED

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: "Michal" in pastels

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: โ†‘Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:05 pm A bit more (am I boring by frequent updates?)
You couldn't bore us if you tried :D :roll:

And it's fun, and instructional, watching it grow.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: โ†‘Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:48 am it's fun, and instructional, watching it grow.
That's great, thanks Mike ๐Ÿ˜‰
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I've moved on the hair, to block them in (up?),so then I could "close" the face inside the outer "edges", which might help me to estabilish the face tone...
I'm usually ALWAYS trying to match the reference as good as possible, but I'm ALWAYS off a bit...
I mean, even though I'm trying to follow the original, I'm finding myself doing what I feel rather than COPY the reference...
I'm confused whether it's good or bad habit.
So today I've done mostly his hair, and improved slightly eyes, also few minor corrections has been done as usually.
Tomorrow, after I'll improve eyebrows - the whole face should start looking more properly...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I did improved the eyebrows, I've made some adjustments here and there...
My wife dod give me a thumb up when she looked at it - it means a lot to me, as it's my most powerful art judge in here ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™Š๐Ÿ™‰
After I will improve his chin, neck... I think the face will be fair close to its final stage...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi there.
Today I did focus on the suit.
I've been improving the colour, shadows, edges...
I wanted to make the bottom colour dull, not much detailed, especially at the side edges, the centre more in focus (the tie knot).
I may do some alterations yet, but I'm pretty happy as it is already (the bottom).
This is what I wanted.
The face to be nicely coloured, attracting the viewer at first look, the rest is less important to me, the more it's dull, the better face is exposed (I hope).
I am about to improve his eyes next thing.
Then I'm done - my first pastel portrait will be finished ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I need to confess something...
I was aiming to draw his face slimmer, now I regret it.
I know him, I did draw him in past, chubby face, following the reference...
He didn't say a word, being appreciated for the drawing, but I know from his mom, that he doesn't like him being chubby, and he tries get slimmer all the time.
I know he'd appreciate this pastel portrait much more if I'd make him look slimmer, but I realised - it's not him...
So today I've made quick correction of his face/neck.
Now I like it more than before, whatever he may think when receiving this portrait...
To me he's looking more accurate now, matching the reference a bit better, and I do like this roundy shape myself!
It's more true to the life at this moment.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: โ†‘Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:56 am So today I've made quick correction of his face/neck. Now I like it more than before, whatever he may think when receiving this portrait...
To me, he's looking more accurate now...
Personally, I think you made the right decision. It does look more like him, but more importantly, he looks right to you.

I'm nor sure this is relevant, but... go on Lemming, over the cliff :roll:....

When I was drawing commissions (usually of dogs) I drew for me. It had to reflect what I saw in the references. I've had a fair bit of stick for that - but from other artists, never a client.

Some artists see it as arrogance. I see it as being paid to do what the client cannot. And involving the client in artistic decisions is fraught with problems - because they cannot see inside your head. You know what you want to do. They commissioned you because they like what you do. And they're paying you for your artistic expertise and vision.

So, good for you. And I can see you're much happier for doing it :)
Mike Sibley

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Yes Mike, I'm much more happier having his face more chubby as it really is ๐Ÿ™ˆ
I tried do a bit of lifting, lol, based on the feedback from past, but I like to be honest to myself too.
I remember I drawn my father in law years ago and nobody liked it ever.
Too many of prominent wrinkles, sadness on his face, kind of lonelyness ...
This is what did attract me!
Nevermind, you know exactly how it is Mike ๐Ÿ‘
I'm very annoyed, because I have late turns again, and I can not get organised before my duty, so the progress on this portait is a bit disturbed...
I'm trying (at least) do even a little bit daily ๐Ÿ‘
Thank you Mike!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Some more detailed work to improve eyes.
A bit more of shading, shaping, a little bit of eyelashes...
I think I'm done, but I'll keep coming to it yet, as there's no rush, so I may touch here and there yet...

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Lovely! The eyelashes really help to define the shape of the eyes now, and the added sparkle... adds sparkle :) :roll:

Before, Michal had eyes. Now he has life and depth and soul. I can't describe it any other way.
Mike Sibley