"Michal" pastels-FINISHED

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
PogArtTi

Re: "Michal" in pastels

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:27 am Before, Michal had eyes. Now he has life and depth and soul. I can't describe it any other way.
Well...
I think I don't deserve so keen comment, that's overwhelming in such a positive way...
I'm aware I did improve those eyes today, but you've made me proud of my efforts dear Mike...
Thank you for making my day 💖
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Hi Artur. I’m sorry I haven’t been around lately, so I was so surprised to see your post. Your back working with pastels!!! That’s great. I know you have a need to introduce colour to your artwork now and then and I think you should pursue that too.

Not much to say so far except I’m enjoying where this is going. Can’t wait to see the next update!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:17 pm I know you have a need to introduce colour to your artwork now and then and I think you should pursue that too.
Hi dear Laurene, I hope you're very well, I did miss your keen comments ☺️
You know me very well, YES I DID MISS THE COLOUR!
It seems I can carry on with graphite for long time, but then, after a while, I'm starting experiencing some sort of temptation, craving, internal call for ... the colour!
You see...
I love the mother nature, there's lots of unique creatures living on the Earth...
Yes, black and white is very very cool thing, but it can not provide the same emotions the colour can.
And this is what I'm missing in graphite.
There's lots of emotions we can express in our black and white arts, that when in colour wouldn't expose the same feeling - and opposite!

I think I need to find the balance between those TWO MAIN WORLDS Laurene...

Getting back to pastels will give me an opportunity to draw black&white or colour arts, whichever I'd decide might be better way to express my mind...
I got the feeling, that the colour has a huge power and impact in our lives.

Let see - where to my internal call lead me to 😅
Can’t wait to see the next update!
Thank you ☺️
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Hi Pogs,
I think your face shape and eye proportion etc are all looking really good now.
What I am somewhat anxious about is the very jaundiced (yellow) colouring of the skin tones. I feel you need more peach tones and soft pinks added. Also, using indigo blue or even olive greens in the shadows can help remove the yellow waxy appearance.
I have taught this a bit and have a Skin Tones PDF sheet available - and here is one of my test sheets to look at:
CC 2A.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

LindasPencils wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:39 am I think your face shape and eye proportion etc are all looking really good now.
I'm hoping so...
Thank you Linda 😊
What I am somewhat anxious about is the very jaundiced (yellow) colouring of the skin tones.
Thank you for advice!
That's true-I didn't mix flesh colours upfront, I'm just layering different colours over in hope to achieve kind of flesh tone ...
So you are very right, it is off...
I'm working on it, hoping to make it acceptable ...
I have taught this a bit and have a pdf sheet I can send you if interested, as I don't know how to attach it (Mike?)- but here is one of my test sheets to look at:
CC 2A.jpg
You can always send me pdf by email if that's not a trouble?
pogart72@gmail.com

Yes, I'm constantly watching YT tutorials of how to mix colours for different skin tones...
I think I am getting the information to my empty brain cells by now, but without practice it's worthless information...
I need get to work, to mix it and learn it again...
Thank you very very much for your kindness Linda!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

*FINISHED*
I'm thanking (is it correct English?) to everybody for viewing this experiment/study progress.
Greetings to my friends - Laurene, Linda, Mike for taking a part in it, helping me out with keen suggestions, with bunch of great advice...
Even PDF lesson file!
Linda, how can I thank you enough?

This portrait shows my nephiew who's 14 now.
It was his birthday, and finishing the school...
His mum did post few photos on facebook then.
So I did pick up one for practice/study.

I decided - if it turns ok, I'll give it as a memorable gift, if it's worthless pastel lesson - I'll bin it, because nobody knows I ever tried it (apart of my wife).

You all were very kind throughout my efforts dear friends - thank you very much!

I spent time today to improve as much as possible some subtle details, shadows a bit, etc.
At some point I felt - that's it, job done...
I don't want to spent any more time on it, as it was only experimental drawing to find out if I still can handle colour drawing, and to remind myself of how to deal with pastels...

The whole family is enjoys their holiday right now, so when they come back, the portrait will be handed...
If Michal will like it - then I share it officially on my facebook page, if he won't like it - I'll ask for permission to share it anyway, because I think it's not too bad looking after all?

Thank you friends for appreciated support!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:54 pm I spent time today to improve as much as possible some subtle details, shadows a bit, etc. At some point I felt - that's it, job done...
...and done it is :)

Just when I thought this couldn't have more life injected, you found multiple ways to do just that. Those wet lips pull me in now, as does the sharp detail with the hair and eyebrows.

If Michal doesn't think it's a good representation of him, don't bin it! A far more satisfactory solution would be plastic surgery for MIchal to match his drawing :D

Well done, Artur. It's a super drawing.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Just when I thought this couldn't have more life injected, you found multiple ways to do just that. Those wet lips pull me in now, as does the sharp detail with the hair and eyebrows.
Wow!
Thank you!
Wow ... you're making me proud 😊
If Michal doesn't think it's a good representation of him, a far more satisfactory solution would be plastic surgery for MIchal to match his drawing :D
THANK YOU SO MUCH !
Well done, Artur. It's a super drawing.
Your kindness gives me a lot of credit, I'm very appreciate for your comment Mike!!!

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Don’t you dare bin this!!! It’s always so rewarding to see what those fine finishing touches can do for a piece of art, and this is a wonderful example of that. He’s come to life in this final version! I’ll bet you anything you like that his mom will cry when she sees it!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:24 am Don’t you dare bin this!!!
Thank you Laurene 💝
his mom will cry when she sees it!
I'm hoping to see such feedback, as nobody have a clue apart of my wife, that I did this drawing...
They're soon coming back from holiday, I'll let you know if they like the portrait 😉
Thank you Laurene.