another of the Elk series

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
JayS

Re: another of the Elk series

Post by JayS »

Rideum51, Your attention to detail in the foreground is wonderful. I'm wondering about the upper background? The dark certainly provides contrast to the elk and will help him stand out. For this reason, this approach will work. However, traditional approaches would have the background lighter than the foreground. Would you share your thoughts? Are there other reasons for the dark background? Could you get the same contrast effect with a white background? I really love the wild tangle of vegetation in the foreground!

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

The Duel Three4a 20220721_11243012.jpg
I got to this point before I saw Mike's comments. I'll post the original once I finish the drawing so they will be seen together. I guess I'm not yet at the point where I can re-imagine some things like an out of focus and far beyond background. Next up will be the completed work.
OMG it displayed properly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

rideum51 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:26 pm Next up will be the completed work.
Can't wait for the final art - it's stunning already!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

rideum51 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:26 pm OMG, it displayed properly.
Oh, ye of little faith! :) I knew you could do it ;)

Regarding the dark background - I'm fine with that if it helps the drawing, which I think it will. I've certainly used it myself a few times. The only caveat is that the background must appear to be naturally dark - such as the side of the forest or wood that never sees the sun (north-facing in the northern hemisphere).
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Paying respect2a g2c-14flag 20220729_09310511.jpg
I've titled this "in the dim light of morning the Competition goes on". Although the battlers are the main subject I think they just kind of melt into the drawing rather than take over.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

What size is it please?
And I'm speachless, I can not say a word...
It's really unbelievably stunning art to me.
Congratulations!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Somehow, I switched directly from your drawing with the silhouetted Elk to the finished piece.... There's a word for a drawing such as this. I'm searching my memory for it. Oh, yes... stunning! :)

Well, I was certainly stunned, because the impact you've created is superb.
rideum51 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:15 pm Although the battlers are the main subject, I think they just kind of melt into the drawing rather than take over.
I agree, and I'm convinced that’s because the detailed work, especially to our left, slightly overpowers them. Not enough to distract, but enough to pull my eye there briefly before it moves right to the Elk. And there... the contrast alone gives the Elk so much presence and power.

I'm still not a fan of that central out-of-focus area, but that's just my personal preference at play. I think you could have invented a degree of detail part-way between out-of-focus and the midground behind the rear Elk. In other words, there would be something recognisable there if I looked, but not intrusive. You could have seen it through a dust cloud too, given the action taking place.

Enough of that - just me thinking aloud. I think you've... this is not easy to explain... left one room and moved into the next on your journey.

And, fortunately, there's always another door in the far wall to reach :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Wow Pog and Mike your comments are so appreciated.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Wonderful piece! Absolutely awesome!!

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Fabulous! I really get a sense that you understand the anatomy of the animal as well as the drama of this battle for dominance.