Bugler

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

Bugler

Post by rideum51 »

Paying respect1 g2c-14flag 20220630_13293445.jpg
thought I would post another of of on going Elk series. This one is a composition created by adding the cow and her youngster, and the foreground. With all this going on it got complicated and maybe a little messy. As just about all my drawings are about telling a story the backgrounds and foregrounds tend to be as important as the subject(s). The drawing itself is 9"x12", we are still not on meters lol. In looking at the detail in the foreground next time I will enlarge my drawing so that it will be easier to provide more detail similar to what Mike accomplishes in his landscapes, I wish. As always comments are appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Bugler

Post by Laurene »

I can always tell that you’re very familiar with the anatomy of the animals you depict. The bull’s musculature is well defined and we immediately get a sense of the animals strength and power. The antlers are superb.

I have a little question in my mind concerning the way those triangular fur shapes below the jaw are so distinct from the neck area. Maybe a bit of detail in the dark shadow area might help these areas flow together a little more. Other than that the muzzle, eye and ears are exactly how they appear when a bull is bugling.

There is a little disconnect between the foreground and background grasses, but I think that it’s your comment that drew my attention there.

Overall, a very powerful piece!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It's stunning art!
I do adore those background blacks that alter the whole contrast so nicely!
I do like the light tree behind the cow and youngster, what makes an interesting point, as it does drives my attention to it, so immediately I can notice those two animals stood in there.
At this point, I think they lack a bit of depth?, the fur looks a bit flatten in comparison to the bull, which looks amazing!
Wow!
I love everything in here, the GRASS !!!
Impressive drawing!
Respect!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Thanks Laurene and PogArt, I think both of our comments are right on, there does seem to be a disconnect between the foreground and the background and yes Pog the cow and her baby should have a little more depth.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

rideum51 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:38 pm ...the cow and her baby should have a little more depth.
It's still nicely drawn, don't get me wrong, it's just my personal minor feeling of it being 2D figurine, where the bull (thanks to its blacks used here and there) is 3D object dear friend 👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*