"Bare Feet"

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Laurene

Re: "Bare Feet"

Post by Laurene »

What you think about the ocean? Does it look like an ocean?
Well, I know it is because I know she’s walking on the beach, but honestly I don’t think it’s an important part of the composition. If another viewer thought that it was a darker patch of ground, for example, it wouldn’t take away from the overall feeling of the piece. It’s a dark patch that anchors the piece and gives a good contrast for her legs so it works.

The tilt in the horizon doesn’t bother me anymore because I see this as a kind of abstract composition that’s realistically rendered (so hard for me to explain). It’s so creative ans you really succeeded in creating a sense that she is at peace lost in her own world….almost like a dream sequence…

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:37 am ... but honestly I don’t think it’s an important part of the composition.
that's making good sense...

If another viewer thought that it was a darker patch of ground, for example, it wouldn’t take away from the overall feeling of the piece.
that's true indeed 🤔
It’s a dark patch that anchors the piece and gives a good contrast for her legs so it works.
Thank you for your comment dear friend 😊😊😊
The tilt in the horizon doesn’t bother me anymore because I see this as a kind of abstract composition that’s realistically rendered
I'm so happy to hear it from you 😊
It’s so creative ans you really succeeded in creating a sense that she is at peace lost in her own world….almost like a dream sequence…
This is exactly what got me to draw it Laurene 😊
Thank you.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Not much left before I can call it's finished ...
I've been improving folds today.
I'm not sure if I can make it any better - please point me out any faults I can't see ...
If not, I'll probably leave them as they are, and finished up the right side of the sky, then ankle tattoo...
And...
And it's done 😉
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I can't see anything that needs to be changed. And I'm looking forward to seeing the right-hand side develop.

OK... there is one tiny niggle that's distracting me :roll:

Right up against the top edge, at the left-hand end of the central darkish triangle... there's a small dark patch. It's looks as though it's the bottom of something above the picture plane - like the bottom of a tennis ball. You could dilute that, and I'd be a happy bunny :D

Oh, and I agree with Laurene about the sea. It's inconsequential, and if it's not recognised as being sea, that won't harm the drawing at all.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:12 pm ... there's a small dark patch. It's looks as though it's the bottom of something above the picture plane - like the bottom of a tennis ball. You could dilute that, and I'd be a happy bunny :D
Thank you dear Mike!
The sky it's to be improved yet, so I hope I'll make you happy bunny 😉
Oh, and I agree with Laurene about the sea. It's inconsequential, and if it's not recognised as being sea, that won't harm the drawing at all.
Thank you again - it's making a good sense the way you concider it Mike and Laurene.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

*FINISHED*
Well...
It's done.
I'm open to ANY critique - this is how I can learn on my mistakes...

It's A4 drawing made on the back of general photopaper 250gsm.
Some of you dear friends who know me, are well aware that I'm using any technique I know and any pencil I possess to get me there where I'm heading to...
To create this drawing I've used blending with wool, suede leather, brush...
Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Well, Artur... I think it's superb.

Against? Only that I find the tattoo is a distraction, although I understand it has to be included. My reaction is partly because I have an aversion to tattoos, so I'm trying to look past that, but I do feel it could be lighter and less imposing. It breaks the flow of the leg as it is, because it dominates it.

But, other than that, it's... Dynamic. Powerful. Full of suggested movement. Even the "abstract" sky adds even more impact. And it's good to see you drawing what you really want to draw.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:10 pm Against? Only that I find the tattoo is a distraction
After your mentioning it, I do like it - and hate it at same time Mike 🤔
It does breach the smooth flow while following the leg shape from bottom upwards, but then by disturbing the view, it adds something... irritating?,annoying maybe?
And I like it too, because it becomes questionable at some point, what may cause viewer to stop by for a bit longer - and get think about it?
I don't know 🤔
I'm sure it's not boring drawing, and it's not general drawing of somebody legs - there's something in it, that made me draw it, but I can't name what it is 😊

although I understand it has to be included.
Yes, lol... that's right 😅
My reaction is partly because I have an aversion to tattoos
I do love tattoos as a form of art, I mean it has to be art by capital letters A R T - then it is amazing me.
Crap tattoos it's like poor sketching to me - it's not art then, not anything really, it hurts me to look at...
It hurts when I'm looking at my tattoo on my arm...
It's been started years ago in polish studio, and never been finished since...
Years passing by, and I can't bin it...
I want to cover it up by A R T sleeve tattoo, but you know me MIKE, it would cost fortune, and I'm not this rich to afford - so I got stuck...
I do feel it could be lighter and less imposing. It breaks the flow of the leg as it is, because it dominates it.
UNDERSTOOD dear friend ...
I do agree.
As I said before, I'm confused, and I'm hating it and loving it, the way it does distract the flow ...
Dynamic. Powerful. Full of suggested movement. Even the "abstract" sky adds even more impact.
100% agree Mike, there's something attracting me a lot 😉

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Great finish my friend! As Mike said, it’s wonderful to see you enjoy drawing again. Definitely follow your instincts because this is leading you to develop your own unique style. It’s bold and makes a statement!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:23 pm Great finish my friend!
Thank you very much!
As Mike said, it’s wonderful to see you enjoy drawing again.
Definitely Laurene - whatever the outcome I DID ENJOY IT 😉
Definitely follow your instincts because this is leading you to develop your own unique style. It’s bold and makes a statement!
It's so different in comparison to other drawings, not unique, but I did alter it at perspective angles, and I used harsh filter, what made the whole photo much darker, more prominent and as you said BOLD - I like it a lot.
Maybe this is what I was looking for?
That SOMETHING I can add by myself to the reference by changing angles, and using filters to make the reference a bit more art-way, not necessarily real life copy ...
Thank you 😊