"Bare Feet"

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

"Bare Feet"

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi dear friends, I'm eager to start off with new project!
I took a bit different approach this time, I'm curious of how it turns out 🤔

It is totally new idea of post-processing the reference photo before I start 🤔
This way I can adjust the reference the way I like it, the way I can see in my mind...
I'm sure this is going to give me a great boost of motivation, because I'm already amazed with the effect achieved 😉

There's one more thing to add - the paper 🤔
I'm going to use the general photo paper, A4 size, 250gsm.
Please share some experience if any, regarding drawing on photo paper, is it good idea to try?

Why I'm going for it?
My drawing paper has its texture, the texture is handy, as it allows me to follow its micro dents, what I found handy 😉
At the same time that texture kills the photorealism (I think it does 🤔), because I have rougher shading or smudging in comparison to a very smooth paper...
To me It's like comparing the oil canvas to clayboard surface...

Well, anyway I'm fancy to try 😉
What you think please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: "Bare foot"

Post by PogArtTi »

Even though I have a VERY early shift tomorrow, I was too exited to refuse to start the drawing this afternoon yet 😅

I love this pitch blacks a lot!
I feel like home for a first time to be honest, because even though I was always tempting to push the blacks this far, in real life I never did...

So my first strokes are placed on the rear leg, building up the shading...
I'm trying to achieve smooth shadows, partially I succeed, partially not really, so I'm trying to blend and smudge my pencil strokes with cotton wool, painting brush and even tortillion 😉

Regarding the photo paper, I just realised it isn't as smooth as I thought 🤔
But it's much more white than my drawing paper is, what will boost my highlights on the drawing, and extend the tonal range...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Re: "Bare Feet"

Post by Laurene »

This will be a great study of light and shadow! I like the way the pattern of striations in the sky is echoed in the folds of her dress.

My only concern is that the horizon line is slanted and that’s pulling my attention. I know it’s early days still and you have the total vision in mind, so I’ll wait to see more updates.

I think you chose a wonderful and original subject for graphite!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:15 pm My only concern is that the horizon line is slanted and that’s pulling my attention.
No, you perfectly right - it's because the filters have been applied by the mobile app during the post-processing.
Also the centre of the photo is in focus, where the sides were disturbed by *lense blur feature.
Personally I don't mind, and I'm taking it as an art expression rather than following the well known rules, but you've made me concerned Laurene, if I can keep it or fix it 🤔
THANK YOU for pointing this out my friend.
I think you chose a wonderful and original subject for graphite!
Thank you again, I think it's interesting photo indeed.

I'm posting today's update then 😊
I did some work on the other leg, and I've started building up the sea texture...
I don't understand the random haracter of water, so I'm doing my best in here to make myself believe it is actually the water 😅

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Absolutely follow your instincts! It’s such an unusual perspective that the slanted horizon can definitely work in this case. Keep going!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:22 pm Absolutely follow your instincts! It’s such an unusual perspective that the slanted horizon can definitely work in this case. Keep going!
Thank you Laurene...
You've made me wonder yesterday 😊
By the way - did you take a closer look to compare the original reference to post-processed one? Side to side?
It's not only about the stronger colour that has been changed - but the entire shape of subject (legs) as well - did you notice that my friend?
I did play with the perspective...
Legs are longer, expanded little bit more in comparison to the original...
I wanted legs to be the focus point, to diminate over the rest, to attrack the viewer first...
So they're longer ...
Therefore the whole reference photo was disturbed by applying different tools to change it the way I can see it...
When I said, that I did post-processed the reference on my first post, I meant I did disturb the whole photograph to flexibly make it my way, to draw it then 😉
I think I should have had mention it at the first post...

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Yes, the forced perspective is working. As for the horizon line, like I said, I know you have a vision in mind so I’ll wait to see it develop. I think that the strong contrasts are working well for you.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:46 am I think that the strong contrasts are working well for you.
This is I'm hoping for...
I never did dare to do the shadows as black as this!
I'm wonder what other artists may will say 😉

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm lost within those folds 🤣🤣🤣
Don't blame me, I'm not copying them exactly as they appear on the reference, but trying to curve them as close to original as possible...
My brain is just overheated by trying to follow their order 😅

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: "Bare foot"

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:12 pm I love this pitch blacks a lot! I feel like home for a first time to be honest, because even though I was always tempting to push the blacks this far, in real life I never did...
First, it's good to see you enjoying what you're drawing :)

Those blacks are certainly going to give this drawing some serious punch. And I admire your courage in establishing them. Even if this drawing doesn't work out (although I'm sure it will) you've at least explored the intense blacks that have been on your wish list.

Despite your altered reference, I can't really guess what the end result is going to be, which is an exciting prospect.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net