Dueling Bucks

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

Dueling Bucks

Post by rideum51 »

Dueling Bucks2a 20220517_15212557.jpg
In the early years of settling America the Elk were numerous all over the eastern portions of America especially in the western portions of North Carolina. Actually western North Carolina is the second most diverse ecosystem in the world second of course the Amazon. Unfortunately the new comers from Europe, unlike Native Americans, killed off all the Elk on the eastern portions of the country. In 2000 the Forest Service with the assistance of North Carolina instituted a program to try and bring the Elk back to wester North Carolina. 200 were captured in the western U.S. and brougth to the Cataloochee area near Maggie Valley North Carolina. Today there are over 1000 of them roaming all over the area, an area that Sally and I spend our summers. The program has been so successful, they actually will walk down the roads at times and eat from our bird feeder. This drawing is of two bucks deciding who gets the cows.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Dueling Bucks

Post by Mike Sibley »

There is so much to admire in this - not only the super execution.

The dappled light works really well. And I love the way the light focuses on the bodies and not the duelling heads. I'm not sure why, but I think it's because the duel is a very private affair between the two of them. I don't feel I'm intruding. And I have to actively find the heads. Badly expressed, but I much prefer your approach to one that automatically highlights the heads - the main action.

On a more technical level, the grass and dust work brilliantly together. And the background recedes perfectly. It's there to be explored, but it doesn't dominate in any way.

I've no doubt there are other wonders to be found in this too... but that'll have to do for now :D ;)

And thanks for the interesting history lesson too!
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I have no words.

Bravo! Every once in a while I see a piece and wish I had drawn it myself. This is one of those times.

Mike, your observation of the use of light on the bodies rather than the heads is a great teaching moment.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 3:51 pm Mike, your observation of the use of light on the bodies rather than the heads is a great teaching moment.
I'm jealous... It's something I wish I'd thought of :roll: :D

Looking at it again, I think the light really emphasises the bulk and sheer weight of the bodies. These are two duelling heavyweights! And, as I said, I have to physically look for the heads, which keeps the whole thing very focussed and private for the two Elk.

It's simply a super drawing that does everything it set out to do.
Mike Sibley

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Mike! :D I agree. I get two immediate gut feelings here, one of immense power and strength, and one of accidentally intruding in a private fight. In other words, the drawing pulls me right into the scene.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Coincidentally... I just left the studio to shut the chickens in for the night.... and for the first time, as far as I recall....

There was a little Roe Deer 20 feet away, looking at me through the netting in a very startled way. Almost as startled as I was :o :D

Then it leapt over the 4 foot (1.2M) wire fence and disappeared into the Rapeseed field (Canola for you US folk).
Mike Sibley

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Mike and Laurene, thanks for your lively back and forth. Those deer can sure jump. I remember several years ago in Colorado we were driving on an unpaved road in the mountains and an Elk jumped clear over our car as we were driving. By the way, my bad, a male Elk is a Bull not a Buck.

DavidBunyan

Post by DavidBunyan »

Excellent! Really like this.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Beautiful art!
It's always something very unique the way you express your drawing on the paper!
Wow!
Again - the sense of movement, the scene, shadows and the light ...
Wow!

And my 5 pence to your stories of meeting the deer...
Some time ago...
I'm commuting to work very early morning, like 4am...
Silence ...
Darkness ...
Me - going on the street by my footbike...
And then I see two deer at the front of me, standing at the middle of the street...
They did stare at me oncoming ...
When they decided to RUN AWAY I was already next to them!
Imagine ... me on my scooter, and two running deer next to me!
Wow!
What a special moment ...
What a great feeling!
It didn't last forever though 😅
They just got through the damaged brick wall at the side of the road and disappeared in the woods...
😊
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:15 pm Me - going on the street by my footbike...
And then I see two deer at the front of me, standing at the middle of the street...
They did stare at me oncoming ...
When they decided to RUN AWAY I was already next to them!
Imagine ... me on my scooter, and two running deer next to me!
Wow!
What a special moment ...
What a great feeling!
You explained that so well, I thought I was there :) And you're right, it was a very special moment.
Mike Sibley