Owl Eye help

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Shmush

Owl Eye help

Post by Shmush »

With the kind permission of artist Zindy Nielsen (she sells her art on Etsy) I am attempting my own version of her stylized owl profile. I came up with the brilliant (?) idea of having the highlight be a moon rising over mountains. Here is my first attempt. I'm not sure how to make it look like a moon in the sky, with no outline but have it look like a highlight. Since the eye is the focal point it should really be eye catching (no pun intended :) I'm not sure there is a way to make it look like the moon in the sky and have it be a bold highlight. I was going to just scrap the idea, but thought I'd post it first to see if anyone has any suggestions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Owl Eye help

Post by Laurene »

Well, first of all, it IS a brilliant idea, in my opinion!

The idea that the moon is also the highlight is coming across. I wonder though if the clouds & mountain were greyed down a bit, if that wouldn’t help illusion. I always suggest trying these things on a copy of your drawing, or digitally on a scan, and then doing it on the original drawing only if you’re satisfied.

Overall, it’s a very striking composition!

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

I’ll try making sections a bit darker. Even though this is a sample, not my final artworkI I will use your suggestion of making a copy to work on. It will save time and frustration :)

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:24 pm The idea that the moon is also the highlight is coming across. I wonder though if the clouds & mountain were greyed down a bit, if that wouldn’t help the illusion.
What Laurene said, :) And it makes logical sense.

The "moon" is the key highlight - the full strength of the sun shining directly into our eyes - and the "clouds" are the reflection of the sky. So, it makes sense that the reflection is darker than the highlight. And, of courser, that increases the contrast, so the highlight will shine more brightly.

Love the eye! I feel I'm being watched... :roll:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

DavidBunyan

Post by DavidBunyan »

I'm really looking forward to see how this turns out, like you I think I would have been reluctant to darken as it seems counter intuitive. If in doubt - Trust Mike

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I like your art very much as well.
So thoughtful, and interesting concept indeed...
Nothing to add, I wish it was my drawing 😉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

I had previously attempted this picture, which I have decided to post (not the best picture, my computer crashed taking all my files with it, so this scan was done after my picture was framed, through the glass, I think that is where the green came from). I have included the original artists work as a comparison. I enjoyed doing the first drawing, but I found myself overthinking to the point of discouragement, when attempting a redraw (anyone else have this problem???). There are things I discovered were wrong-the distance between the eye and the beak, the eye is the wrong perspective for an owl. Owl's eyes, unlike most birds, are on the front of their face, not the side. I think I have it halfway in-between. The eye should be larger. The outline around the pupil is inaccurate, though I don't think it looks wrong, I just know it is. It wasn't as if I didn't like anything about my first attempt...I was rather pleased with the overall look. I like the way I was able to use negative drawing to get some of the feathers especially over the beak. I also liked trying a style different from my own, and I appreciate Zindy Nielsen allowing me the opportunity to do so. However, after a few attempts at another go at this project I decided to take the lessons I've learned to my next project rather than attempting to improve on a project which no longer inspires me.

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement and kind thoughts. Though I don't post often this is a great forum. Everyone shares a lot of encouragement along with great advice!
owl pic side by side copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

There's very good point, that you've mention the anatomical difference.
It's so important to understand such details, and study the subject in depth, so then we can use it as an advantage while drawing...
For example the human face..,having a better knowledge/understanding of the skull, definitely will benefit while shading the face features, etc.
So you just pin pointed that perfectly.
Being aware of an Owl's skull shape will certainly help to draw it realistcally...
I do appreciate realistic arts most, so I'm enjoy following your efforts.
Thank you for share.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I'll mention the bit that bothers me first. The feathers above the eye are casting a shadow on the top of the eyeball. I believe the Nielsen drawing is correct in that respect. But your reflection in the eye cuts deep into that shadow, which throws the angle of the eye out. Instead of looking forwards, it's now partially looking to the side.

Now the best bits! :D I love your work within the feathers! And those marvellous wispy ends that overlap the beak. Your owl has bags of presence and real character.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I also love your feather details! I’ve drawn several owls and I know how challenging their feathers can be.