no horse, no woman, and now maybe no country

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

no horse, no woman, and now maybe no country

Post by rideum51 »

Lonely1abcd1a 20220223_10581178.jpg
I found this image and it reminded me of what is going on in Ukraine at this moment. An Ukrainian farmer who has not much left to live for. Lets all hope that the outcome is a win for democracy. Sorry about the politics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Re: no horse, no woman, and now maybe no country

Post by LindasPencils »

Sorry about the politics
No apology needed - Art should never be afraid of talking about issues, politics and social issues. Art is a wonderful tool for creating strong messages.

This is a great image. HIs eyes are soulful in that 'far seeing' way. The image has poignancy and is beautifully drawn.

My only hesitation is the very white area behind the side of his head and neck - it doesn't quite work for me - it pops out to me. I cannot work out why it would be so light as that is not where the light hits, the head should actually be casting a bit of a shadow there. Have you considered toning it back somewhat?

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

the clothes, the hair the picture in the background all are drawn in a way to help tell your story. However, the eyes really carry the story. You caught what is, at least in the USA military called the “thousand yard stare” meaning someone who has seen a lot of combat and/or the darker side of life. I’ve seen it in photographs, but I would think it is a challenge to capture that exact look in a drawing.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

rideum51 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:59 pm Sorry about the politics.
Don't be... I think this image sums up the feelings of most of us regarding the invasion and subsequent brutal behaviour.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Very well done! You made me feel for your subject. He draws me into his story and that’s not easy to do.

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Thank you all for your comments. Each day I feel even more of the dispair the Ukrainians are experiencing.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It does look so .... so graphite JUICY!
Very good contrast, deep shadows and beautifuly rendered higlights!
I'm amazed my friend!

On the other hand I'm Polish...
What you mention above my friends, is just happening at the door of my home country.
I have no words.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

JayS

Post by JayS »

Art expresses feelings that words only hint at. Your image not only expresses the feelings of one coming to the end of the road but suggests that there are past memories worth remembering. Life is woven of the fabric containing both happiness and sadness, of value gained and lost. I believe that the expression of art has the capacity to also show what should become from the past. Some must fight with bullets and guns. Others fight with images seeking what is right. Perhaps someday we will come to understand the futility of destruction and hope for the seeds of creation. There is no better place to dream of hope than on an artist's page.

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Jay what a wonderful writing. Unfortunately it seems that guns will always prevail.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

JayS wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:32 pm Art expresses feelings that words only hint at... There is no better place to dream of hope than on an artist's page.
So perfectly expressed, Jay.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net