Water

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
LindasPencils

Water

Post by LindasPencils »

Hi Mike and friends,
Just thought you might like to see the results of the Term 1 theme of 'Water' I did with my students down here. We did a number of works, from studying droplets, refractions, waves, boats and then a final complete work that could be anything the artist wanted to draw but had to include at least 30% water in any form.
I did a drawing of one of the small hire dinghy's from Mordialloc Pier - just near where I live. It was one of those dead calm days we get here on the Bay, dull grey Melbourne sky reflecting back in the water. A lone dingy was gently bobbing by the side of the pier, charmingly name 'Harry'. I did a few other studies of Harry to get the boat shape right (figure 8's help!) before doing this larger version
Drawn on Fabriano Artistico Hotpress 300gsm with Staedtler clutch pencils; F, HB, 2B & 4B. No blending sticks used, just the pencils
HarryDWM.jpg
We also looked at water drops - this is an A5 sheet of Saunders Watercolor White Hot Press 300gsm - a demonstration work. Same pencils with a little touch of paper blending stick in the drops.
DropsOnRoseDWM.jpg
And another demo work using a water-soluble carbon pencil, washed and dry as well as graphite pencils. Again on the Saunders - which I find is a really nice and forgiving paper for wet and dry work.
LighthouseWavesDWM.jpg
It was a fun term. Water is a fascinating subject to draw. Term 2 is 'Botanics - but not "Botanical" drawing'. Should be fun.

best wishes everyone - stay well and keep drawing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rideum51

Re: Water

Post by rideum51 »

Nice composition on the dingy drawing

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Thanks for these, Linda. They're all quite fascinating in their own way.

"Harry" is perfectly understated. The water is wet, the pier adds balance, and Harry is the star. And your use of simple ripples breaking through the reflections is all that was required to unquestionably say "water".

Likewise, the drops of water on the rose, which was a brave subject to attempt - and successfully too.

And the breakers by the lighthouse? The lighthouse gives both scale and depth. I can feel the movement of that wave as it travels along. And those little white horses dancing along its top edge are delightful.

You've got a good bunch of artists with you!
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

Thanks for sharing. My favorite is "Harry". It captures your attention while exuding a peacefulness . Makes me feel relaxed just looking at it :)

Interesting, as well as beneficial seeing the different applications of water.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Thank you Rideum. I took the photos myself, then moved a few things around and cropped to create this composition.
And Shmush too - your reaction is exactly what I was trying to convey. Thank you.
Mike, your comments are so lovely, thank you. I am fortunate to have a group of excellent students, they are fun to work with and are always inspiring to teach.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Hi Linda. Water is such an interesting and difficult subject. I love Harry bobbing peacefully in the bay! I can just hear the seagulls overhead.