Sage Grouse Dance

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
JayS

Re: Sage Grouse Dance

Post by JayS »

Mike, Your comments leave me feeling very lucky. It's like receiving a dose of miracle grow. First you have commented about not having grouse in your neighborhood. This reminds me of how much each of us are influenced by what we see day in and day out. We have tremendous influence on us because of the environment in which we live. This is the fourth or fifth grouse I have drawn. When I sat down to draw this one I felt that I rushed it. The bird was largely complete in it's 11X14" format in about 9 hours in one sitting. Too much, too quick.

This step includes shading the spots. I was surprised looking at the original at how much this influenced the drawing of the bird. It is a huge difference. This doesn't feel like it comes across in the photo though.

I added a leg.

I have a lot more work to do. Thanks Mike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Wow, now I know why Mike is the boss. We can never learn until we are told how to improve our planning and execution. Many of you have commented on my drawings with helpful suggestions.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

JayS wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:39 pm First, you have commented about not having grouse in your neighborhood. This reminds me of how much each of us are influenced by what we see day in and day out. We have tremendous influence on us because of the environment in which we live.
We have grouse up north in Scotland, so I know a grouse when I see one. But I don't know anything about them - unlike, say, pheasants and partridge that I see every day. And a Little Egret recently, which was entertaining. But - yes - don't assume everyone knows the subject you're drawing.
This step includes shading the spots. I was surprised looking at the original at how much this influenced the drawing of the bird. It is a huge difference. This doesn't feel like it comes across in the photo, though.
The lesson is... don't rely on the photo. Tell your story your way. In this case, the shaded spots do indeed make a huge difference. Suddenly the grouse is no longer flat and has real body - to the point where I could feel its plumpness if I picked it up in both hands.
I added a leg.
You did? Where? ;) I think it's striding forwards in your photo. Not that you have to do that too, but it would add movement. And (sorry - just personal preference) you could get rid of those tall bits of grass that seem to have no connection to the grass the grouse is standing in. I find that tall grass adds confusion to an already confusing mass of markings in the feathers.

Also, I thought those two upright stalks of grass were its crutch... given that it's missing a leg :D :roll:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Sage Grouse !
JayS!
What an impressive birds are on the Earth !!!
Wow - I'm going to learn some online about them, just after I finish in here 😉

I did enjoy your story tale a lot, what a story!
It's such amazing moment if you can enjoy such trip and become a part of nature, by observing animals in real life, not cages, enclosures...

I went through your detailed conversation with Mike, and Mike did pin point so many details, and I'm also very pleased to be able follow it throughout.
Great lesson from Mike again - thank you!

I'm not drawing birds too often, I did draw just three birds long ago...
Not that I don't like them I LOVE THEM!
So I have no much of experience to give any advice.
I do like your Sage Grouse very much, and the grass of course too!
The bird looks so detailed, feather by feather, so the grass - I love it!
To me it is very good looking art, and we both can learn some more on it by lustening to Mike's keen advice 👍👍👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*