Tamao

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Mikey37

Tamao

Post by Mikey37 »

This is my second drawing submitted (Angelina was the first). I would welcome any comments or suggestions…I’ve got a lot to learn and look forward to some feedback. Thanks.
Credit to Tamao Bragg for the original drawing. I forgot to include the original, will do so now. I bought this in 1968, my first art purchase. It has fascinated me all these years, and the light bulb went on, “Why not try it?” But not a copy, change it up a bit.
Her’s is charming, beautiful, and in my opinion a wonderful combination of ruggedness and sophistication. Using a rough paper, wide lead pencil with just a touch of colour somehow produced this gentle, appealing drawing.
My biggest change was the eyes…more like anime eyes, more dominating, and the treatment of the skin and hands. Please let me know what I could do to improve it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JayS

Re: Tamao

Post by JayS »

Mikey37, Your drawing resonates with me. You have made your drawing more ethereal than the original. As far as improvement the devil is in the details. Certainly you don't want to copy the orginal as is, instead you have added your own interpretation. Which is good. There are a few little things you might consider, 1) You have made her eyes a little bigger than the original, what if you made them just a little larger still? 2) Take a close look at the hands. IF you made the fingers more slender I think they would fit the girl a little better. 3) Take a look at the face. the right side facing us seems a little narrower than the original?

Overall you are doing a great job communicating the innocence and delicacy of this young girl.
J.

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

Don’t we all have a lot to learn, that is why we are here! I agree with JayS you have caught something of the innocence and delicacy of this young girl. I think the highlight at the top of her head works well, and I like how you developed her smooth skin. I think a bit larger more realistic mouth would go better with her large eyes. I am at the stage where I often copy or work from a photograph but even so I find I have to study the real thing or look at many other pictures of what I am trying to draw. It never works for me to just copy what I see no matter how well it is done.

Mikey37

Post by Mikey37 »

Thank you both. Yes, a lot to learn. The saving grace is that it's fun doing it. I use a Camera Lucida app(on ipad) to ensure that I get the proportions right. Jay, your point about the right side of the face made me measure each side of her face and guess what, the right side of the original is larger than the left. Never noticed that over the many years I've had the drawing. The hands...I can't tell you how many times I re-drew the hands. With shading (attracted too much attention to the hands), exact copy from the reference (didn't like the strange pinky finger of the right hand), and so on. I ended up doing the same thing, finding pictures of 8 year old girls holding a rose (the internet is an amazing tool, there were 30 pictures!), but still didn't get it right. Same with the mouth. Eyes, hands, mouth, all incredibly revealing of a persons mood, state of mind and personality, and all devilishly had to capture. Thanks for your feedback....time to soldier on.