Aging Beauty

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
Wassie

Aging Beauty

Post by Wassie »

This is a reference photo with permission from the photographer to draw her:
OldVietnameseWoman.jpg
We weren't allowed to enter nudes in our local art show,
so, this is what I did to her:

16x20", Prismacolor Pencils on Cresent Drawing Board.

Critiques, please.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shmush

Re: Aging Beauty

Post by Shmush »

You have caught the essence and "beauty" of aging! Your additions help carry your story. The chair prevents the background from being an empty void. The colored nails and the pink flower add to the "beauty" aspect.. If I would suggest any changes perhaps a bit more of a symmetrical face, while still showing her age.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I've been meaning to comment on this for ages.... and now Shmush has said it all :)

Actually, there is one tiny feature that's been bothering me - the curve beneath the knob on top of the staff. It's curving upwards, but the curves below it are curving downwards. That suggests (actually demands) that the horizon lies directly between the two, which it doesn't. I understand why you curved the top curve as you did, but it only works if the two curves below it are either slightly curved upwards or flat.

Look at the reference. The lower curve near her elbow is curving downwards. We're looking down on that curve. The curve above it is straight, so that has to be the horizon - a point just above her eyes. From that point on, we're looking UP at any curves. Which is what you did... but your lower curves needed to be straight, or at least very gently curved up.

It might seem like a small point, but we instinctively understand perspective - so, we know when something doesn't look the way it should, even if we don't know why we know. :D

Other than that, I think it's a most enjoyable work of art, and one you gave a lot of thought to.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Wassie

Post by Wassie »

Thank you both, Shmush and Mike. I appreciate the constructive criticism.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It's very detailed portrait, and a great challenge to compliment the age...
The face has all the life story behind, not an easy task to draw those wrinkles, that are must, and yet - show the beauty behind!
I wish I could draw like you, I keep improving every time I draw 😉
For long time I was drawing black&white drawings only, just days ago I decided to try pastels again.
Years past by, I did forgot what I learnt, and now I'm trying my best, lol 🙈🙉🙊
Congratulations!!!
Very interesting portraiture indeed.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Really well done, I don't know what kind of art show you were in but that's a shame.