Lion as requested by Linda

Receive critiques and comments on your Coloured Pencil or Pastel drawings.
Picasso2

Lion as requested by Linda

Post by Picasso2 »

Hi Mike
As requested by Linda, this is my drawing of the lion to which she was referring. He was done in response to her challenge to use just 4 colour pencils + graphite, so was done with Staedtler Karat Golden Ochre, Violet and ? ?Burnt Sienna and a Blue(don’t know exact colours of last two, as they were borrowed and the numbers had disappeared) with the addition of 2H,4B and F graphite.
I’m afraid I’m still struggling with the concept of drawing the shadows and not the white fur, despite your excellent explanations. Although I understand the concept, I still can’t seem to put it into practice. Hopefully one day it will click!!
Any suggestions as to how this lion could have been improved would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Jean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Re: Lion as requested by Linda

Post by LindasPencils »

Well I think this is great!
But - as I have seen it in the 'flesh' so to speak, I want to point out that this image shown here is a lot darker than it is in real life. Jean has caught a real vibrancy and life with the colors she has use, enhanced by the tones of the graphites.
Only one thing Jean - I know the eyes were dark and shadowed, but do you think they need a slice or spot of white to liven them up with a highlight? You could just touch them quickly with a white pastel...

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks, Linda. I agree, it has come out a lot darker, think it must be something to do with the photography. I agree, I should have used a bit of artistic license and added highlights to his eyes- the darkening of the colours in the photo has really shown this up. Will try a touch of white pastel.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Wow !!!
It is amazing how beautifully it's drawn with limited palette!
I just complimented Linda's Serval drawing, not expecting to see another such nicely done - just seconds later Picasso2 👍
Congratulations !!!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Picasso2

Post by Picasso2 »

Thanks for your kind words PogArt, It definitely was a challenge, but a great learning exercise, to see how an effect can be created with so few colours. Linda's guidance and encouragement of course played a large part in achieving this - I'm so lucky to have access to such a great teacher!
All the best for 2022 and hope to see more of your works in the forum during the year.
Jean

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Picasso2 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:46 am I'm so lucky to have access to such a great teacher!
All the best for 2022 and hope to see more of your works in the forum during the year.
Jean
I'm CRAP to remember names for longer - SORRY Jean 😊
Yes, Linda is one of the artists who has great skills, real talent and it's a very wise person itself...
I'm feeling lucky as well to be able share my drawings, or listen to her pointed advice...
Thank you for your keen wishes for New Year!
Obviously I'm delighted to wish you the same, to be happy with your arts, and keep it up the way you do perfectly Jean 😊😊😊
HAPPY 2022 !!!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*