"Sisterka" - Free hand attempt.

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Re: "Sisterka" - Free hand attempt.

Post by PogArtTi »

Thank you Mike for kind support with this drawing.
I'm home till 3rd Jan, so I'm pushing it every day in hope to get it done by then 😊
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I’m enjoying seeing the progress. I really like the way you’re treating the folds of her sweater.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: ↑Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:28 pm I’m enjoying seeing the progress. I really like the way you’re treating the folds of her sweater.
I'm happy you do enjoy it dear friend...
I thought, that making the whole sweater flat black won't be any artistic at all, so partially following coincidence, partially my own intuition I ended up creating these folds Laurene 😊
It's also something similar has happened to the source of lighting at the right side of the drawing...
The paper started bucking back again, when I was applying wet charcoal on the hair, it's created kind of shadows by itself...
I thought it will nicely match these sweater folds, so I just made those paper folds more prominent ...
I hope it looks alright, because I like to leave it as it is...
HAPPY NEW 2022 YEAR dear Laurene 😊😊😊
You always do support me with your kind words, what is lifting me up at every single time...
Thank you, and I wish You the very best from my heart for the New Year - as well as all other members from this unique group of great artists...
Please forgive me skipping your names in here - I have All of You deep in my heart 😊😊😊
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Happy New Year to you too Artur , and to everyone here in the forum!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: ↑Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:01 am Happy New Year to you too Artur , and to everyone here in the forum!
Thank You 😊😊😊

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It's finished ...
I'll let it settle for tonight, then I'll varnish it tomorrow.
There's one trouble I'm worry for - the paper, even stretched, is reshaping back again after making wet strokes on it.
To be honest, I thought this is why the watercolour paper we do stretching - to be able paint on it with watercolours freely, and it will keep its flat surface forever?
Don't blame me please for being such naive - it's first time ever I'm experimenting like this πŸ˜‰
So I'm sure that if I moisture its back to flatten it under weighted pressure, the front painted with charcoal may will dilute and smudge around making nothing but real mess.
Therefore I'm planning to varnish it first to avoid accidental smudging, then once the drawing is protected - flatten it safely.
I feel nervous about what I'm commit to do, but the drawing has to be flatten, it can not be bucked at all.
Any wise advice in this matter will be very welcome 😊
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: ↑Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:01 am Happy New Year to you too Artur , and to everyone here in the forum!
Thanks, Laurene!

May everything that you wish for yourself in 2022 come true :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!
from me and Jenny.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Happy New Year to You both dear friends Mike and Jenny 😊😊😊

JayS

Post by JayS »

Greetings Arthur, I don't know how I missed this as you were developing it. Discovering it now, I'm delighted by your work. What a terrific portrait. You really captured the spirit of your sister! I'm sitting here in Northwestern Colorado where it is -5 just grinning ear to ear. Your work is a joy!

I have a thought about flattening. It seems to me that the more pressure you can apply the better your results can be. There is a caution here...the wetter the paper and the more pressure tends to make the paper stick to what is applying the pressure. A few years ago I built a press. The press was 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood with 4 bolts, one in each corner. It is about 24" square. Here in the states, there is a woodworker's store called Rockler. They sell "rocker" clamps. these clamps thread onto the corner bolts and then rock down to apply pressure. You can get 2 or 3 hundred pounds of pressure per square inch. I would also put big fender washers on each end of the bolts to help spread the pressure. I'll try to dig this out of storage and send you a picture.

I commend your willingness to experiment! Even if what you try doesn't work you have added valuable insight into your store of knowledge. Go for it!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thanks a lot for such warm comment !!!
Wow 😊
I'm always like to read positive thoughts regarding my drawings, because I never like it as much 😁😁😁
I'm just focusing on my faults too much, what's blocking me to enjoy it full chest πŸ˜‰
I'm sure there's still some weaker points I could improve yet ...

Yes, that press board would be interesting to see, thank you for thinking about it JayS πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
It'll be interesting to see it in detail, if you find it, but it isn't necessary, so don't put yourself under any pressure when looking for it pls πŸ˜‰

You're from Colorado, wow ... I'm sorry I don't have any knowledge about your hometown at the moment, other than it reminds me Western movies, Cowboys ... you know 😊
I'm dressing in Steampunk fashion , and I'm wearing Western Cowboy Hats (I have 3, I love them!) 🀘😎
Best regards my friend.