"Sisterka" - Free hand attempt.

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

"Sisterka" - Free hand attempt.

Post by PogArtTi »

Sisterka - it's a Polish way of playing with English word, which (in this case) means obviously a sister, but in very warm, friendly form 😊😊😊
She's 10 years younger, and lives in UK as well, about 1.5h away by the car.
I've promised to draw the portrait for her birthday (last month).., unfortunately due to lack of motivation, it's going to be late gift...
At least I'm back to drawing πŸ˜‰

I'm going to draw it free hand.
I hope I won't be off too far regarding proportion πŸ€”

12x16in Ampersand Claybord.
Graphite drawing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: "Sisterka" - Free hand attempt.

Post by Mike Sibley »

Better late than never... :D

And I know I'm going to enjoy watching this develop.

While I'm here... HAPPY CHRISTMAS to you and Magda.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:13 pm While I'm here... HAPPY CHRISTMAS to you and Magda.
Merry Christmas to You and Jenny as well dear friend πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–
*(sorry if I've written your dear wife's name incorrectly - short memory 😊)

Yes, better late than never πŸ˜…

Actually It's been couple of attempts since this upload you refer to Mike.
It's because I was trying Acrylic Gesso first - which didn't work probably because I was layering the gesso wrong way...
Then I was trying out that Ampersand Claybord - which didn't work either, because the surface didn't let the graphite to sit in properly, and hold it properly to let me build up the darks...
Then I was stretching the Arches Aquarelle paper again to start another fresh attempt all over again...

So here we are - today's fresh start on a plain paper, no gesso, no claybord, no anything else πŸ˜…
Even no free hand πŸ˜… - it's traced to make sure everything sits just right 😊

Thank you once more dear Mike for your attention to my arts, your kindness and for Christmas wishes 😊😊😊
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

That's it for today - next sessions will follow 😊
I'm building up the tonal variations, darkening the darks and lightening the highlighted areas, willing to improve the shapes around the face.
If you interested I've attempted the base layer of the hair with liquid charcoal...
So the left upper corner of the background as well.
The painting brush + some water and that's it.
From this point I'm going build up additional layers of the hair...
Thanks for watching πŸ˜‰

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Keep going! This will be superb - trust me :) She already has a lovely soft expression and I think your style will compliment her so well.
Mike Sibley

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:42 pm Keep going! This will be superb - trust me :)
I will keep your word given, so I can make complaint in case it turns into disaster Mike 😊😊😊
THANK YOU for motivation !!!

I was working today on multiplying layers of the hair, to improve a depth...
The hair is always time consuming process...
I am mixing liquid charcoal with general pencil strokes + blurring ...
Well - I'm stepping in a very unknown area, as I can not predict the outcome...

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Every day bit by bit moving forward πŸ˜‰

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Hi Artur! Sorry I’m late seeing this. I love the fact that you’re always pushing the envelope and trying new ways of achieving the style you’re after. I’m loving it so far! Your sister is so pretty and her features are so soft. I know that your style of drawing will suit her portrait very well. I’m looking forward to following along.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: ↑Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:58 pm I’m looking forward to following along.
Thank you very much Laurene 😊
Yes, it seems I'm very different kind of human being 😁
Whatever I'm touching, I'm looking to do it my way, what usually isn't understood well, or accepted by the crowd πŸ˜‰
At least you appreciate me trying new things 😊
Thank you 😊

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: ↑Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:22 pm I am mixing liquid charcoal with general pencil strokes + blurring ...
It's an interesting combination, and it appears to working well for you. As for your sister, she's progressing very nicely.
Mike Sibley