The Encounter (Wood Stork)

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
kwheller

Re: The Encounter (Wood Stork)

Post by kwheller »

JayS wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:11 pm The wood stork has developed beautifully. With respect to the water, I'm wondering if less is more. . Overall, I'm wondering what would happen to the texture of the drawing if you made the water smoother? Wouldn't it give a stronger presence to the birds?
I appreciate your insights! Stiller water might bring the birds out more, although its a lot of fun making a wavy mess out there! I remember one drawing (Still Holding On) that I spent 100s of hours on the tree, but left the cliff that the tree was clinging to fairly abstract. A year later, I felt I understood the texture better and made the cliffs very detailed before I posted to this site (my first post!). Who knows, this particular piece is mine (and not for sell), so I may make more changes to the ocean in the future. I do have 2 commissioned works waiting, so may need to more on. Thanks again.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Based on feedback (and thank you very much), I did try to bring the Wood Stork's head out more. I made it darker and also decided to lighten the water in certain places. I think it stands out more, which I believe is what you had in mind, Mike. However, in this photo, the ocean is not as dark on the bottom and the sides.

I have a hard time getting good photos of my work. This time I tried natural light. Any thoughts on the best way to take photos for posting on this site? I've gone from a lot of light sources to a natural one.

More feedback is certainly welcome. The ocean has been fun (and frustrating), although I am trying to make the birds and their interaction the focus. I also need to move on to a couple commissioned works. (This drawing of "The Encounter" is for me, so I may return in the future for any large changes).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

I like how this is working. You have developed the birds well, especially the stork.
funny about water - I just mentioned Jack Hamm's book 'Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes' on another post. It gives some very good tips on understanding how water works. You can google it and find pdf or pintrest copies. The examples are quite sketchy but the concept and rationale really help describe how to understand water and what it does.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

LindasPencils wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:28 pm You have developed the birds well, especially the stork.
I just mentioned Jack Hamm's book 'Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes'
Hi Linda! Thanks so much for your encouragement about the stork! I appreciate the suggested book and I am getting a copy. This will not be my last drawing involving water and I really need to get a better handle on it. Thanks again!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Its hard to decide what I want to do with the ocean, but I think I will leave it as it for now.
Yes, I think it's my trouble - to decide what I really want to achieve regardless of what subject I'm working on 😉
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I do think that the stork’s head stands out much better now. My eye immediately goes there. I enjoyed reading about the encounter you witnessed! And I especially enjoy seeing different subjects and compositions like this.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

This is looking so much better! While my eye goes to the gull first (no bad thing) it quickly moves up and settles on the Stork's head. That pinpoint of light in the eye works really well to draw me in. And the head now stands out from the surf, so I think you've pitched that perfectly.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

PogArt wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:28 pm
Its hard to decide what I want to do with the ocean, but I think I will leave it as it for now.
Yes, I think it's my trouble - to decide what I really want to achieve regardless of what subject I'm working on 😉
Yes, despite countless hours of planning, including planning the background, the background plan somehow gets lost as I bring out the subject. Sometimes I want the background to not be as distinct as the subject matter, but again, not sure what I want to achieve in the background. I think you really identified the issue. Thanks!

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Laurene wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:13 pm I do think that the stork’s head stands out much better now. My eye immediately goes there. I enjoyed reading about the encounter you witnessed! .
Thanks Laurene. I do think the stork's head is improved. I enjoyed trying to capture this most unusual encounter. (At least it was unusual to me. Maybe this happens all of the time when wood storks and seagulls encounter each other??)

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Mike Sibley wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:00 pm While my eye goes to the gull first (no bad thing) it quickly moves up and settles on the Stork's head. That pinpoint of light in the eye works really well to draw me in. And the head now stands out from the surf, so I think you've pitched that perfectly.
Thanks for your help Mike! I think the flow of the picture is working well now (whether it starts at the gull and goes to the stork head or visa versa). Bringing out the stork head really made a difference so I appreciate yours and everyone's feedback and guidance!