The Encounter (Wood Stork)

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
kwheller

The Encounter (Wood Stork)

Post by kwheller »

This is a 11 x 14 inch drawing on Conqueror White paper with Staedtler leads. I saw this unusual encounter at the beach (Atlanta Ocean, southern US) where a Laughing Gull would walk up the shoreline and approach a large Wood Stork. The Wood Stork would walk a few feet away from the seagull, only to have the seagull move forward a few feet towards the Wood Stork. The Wood Stork would again move away from the seagull, and the seagull would again approach the Wood Stork. Once in awhile they would have fleeting eye contact, but otherwise no other interaction besides the gull's continued approach and stork's continued retreat. After repeating this about 6 times as they continued down the beach, the wood stork gave up and flew away.

So I wanted to try to capture this encounter. In the actual drawing, the background to the left of the wood stork is darker than what is shown here. The large image with the higher pixels doesn't show the entire drawing at one time, so I included a smaller, less pixel (more fuzzy) version so the entire composition can be seen (but it lacks detail). I have never drawn an ocean before (or a wood stork or seagull) and I had a lot of difficulty deciding how detailed I wanted the background. to be since the focus should be on the birds. Any feedback and suggestions is greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: The Encounter (Wood Stork)

Post by Mike Sibley »

That's a lovely, well-told story - and an equally good attempt at everything you've not tried before.

I think your photo is lighter at the top than your original? I'm continuing on that basis - and I've had a try at restoring it to what I think it really looks like. Also, I'm guessing your whites are brighter too, but if I try to fix that I lose detail in the feathers... so I'm leaving it alone ;)

The problem is that it's the blacks that grab my eye. That's fine except that there are no blacks within the Stork's head, so all the weight and focus in is the bottom half.

As I was adjusting the top half of the water to match the bottom half, I also boosted the darks a little in the Stork's head. That didn't work. So I really darkened the Stork's pupil. That, I thought, would most probably be black. I think that helped, but the head and bill still lack presence.

I won't take it further, because I don't know if my original "too light at the top" thinking was correct. But I do think the Stork's head does need to be stronger - to balance the blacks at the bottom.
KATHY-WoodStork.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:40 pm I won't take it further, because I don't know if my original "too light at the top" thinking was correct. But I do think the Stork's head does need to be stronger - to balance the blacks at the bottom.
Hi Mike, I appreciate your feedback. This is very much an in progress work and has a lot left to go. I have been struggling with the stork's head as well. When the ocean was lighter, the stork's head was very prominent, but the white feathered body looked too subdued. When I darkened the ocean, the body of the stork stood out, but the head no longer did. This is partly why the ocean seems toned differently in different parts because I am having a lot of difficulty knowing which way to go (a lighter ocean, where the head is more prominent or a darker ocean where the body stands out). Some Wood Storks do have a darker head (but not as dark as those black body feathers),while most others are lighter. I do like how you have darkened the head along with the darker pupil. (I do, by the way, keep looking at your drawings of those beautiful white parrots with that rich, dark background).
I also still have a lot of work on the ocean, but I want to get the contrast correct. You are correct, by the way, that the top is lighter which was the original ocean's tone. I will darken the pupil and work on the head, but I do wonder if I should lighten the ocean again.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

kwheller wrote: ↑Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:47 pm I will darken the pupil and work on the head, but I do wonder if I should lighten the ocean again.
If you can get more oomph into the head, then I think a lighter ocean towards the top would help. It will give a greater sense of recession and help the Stork to stand out. I'm certain I made the ocean too dark, but I was more concerned with maintaining your lovely, subtle detail.

A black eye - definitely! It won't be enough to balance the darks below, but it will then contain the greatest contrast all in one place - eye highlight/pupil - and that should attract the viewer's attention.

But, at present, I don't have any firm ideas of how you might naturally darken the bill. I tried darkening the joint between top and bottom at one point, but that didn't work too well - well, not for me. It might for you. ;)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I did enjoy the story tale 😁
The behaviour of animals is nearly always very unique.
I like the way you've captured these birds, and I like the subtle waves behind, and your approach!
You've discussed all the matter with dear Mike already πŸ‘
Well done Kath 😊
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:21 pm
kwheller wrote: ↑Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:47 pm I will darken the pupil and work on the head, but I do wonder if I should lighten the ocean again.
If you can get more oomph into the head, then I think a lighter ocean towards the top would help. It will give a greater sense of recession and help the Stork to stand out. I'm certain I made the ocean too dark, but I was more concerned with maintaining your lovely, subtle detail.
Thanks for your suggestions. I have lightened the ocean toward the top and that has really helped. Still working on the stork eye and ocean. I will repost once I am further along.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

PogArt wrote: ↑Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:58 pm I did enjoy the story tale 😁
The behaviour of animals is nearly always very unique.
I like the way you've captured these birds, and I like the subtle waves behind, and your approach! πŸ‘
Well done Kath 😊
Thanks so much PogArt! I really appreciate the encouragement. I also love observing animal behaviors and I found their interaction fascinating .
The birds are probably as best as I can do right now (except for the stork eye that I'm working on) and of course I am more than willing to make more changes to them as more comments come in (or as I notice issues). However, I do struggle with the ocean- keeping it more of a subtle background or making it much more detailed. I appreciate you mentioning that you like the subtle waves.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I appreciate you mentioning that you like the subtle waves.
It's because my brain is struggling to understand such curves, unpredictable/random shapes πŸ˜‰
Therefore I've never attempted drawing waves yet.
To me you're doing a splendid job in here!
Congratulation and keep it going πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

JayS

Post by JayS »

The wood stork has developed beautifully. With respect to the water, I'm wondering if less is more. What I'm trying to say is that when water runs, the troughs are down and dark and the peaks of the waves are up and light. Therefore, the peaks would have fewer lines that breakup the surface. You could use the peaks and troughs to give the water direction and flow. This thought messes, a little, with the principle of a dark front edge of the drawing establishing the foreground for recession to a lighter background. At the same time sand is generally darker than water and wet sand darker still. But, fewer lines in the water would help establish stronger shadows for the birds. Overall, I'm wondering what would happen to the texture of the drawing if you made the water smoother? Wouldn't it give a stronger presence to the birds?

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

PogArt wrote: ↑Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:56 pm
I appreciate you mentioning that you like the subtle waves.
It's because my brain is struggling to understand such curves, unpredictable/random shapes πŸ˜‰
Therefore I've never attempted drawing waves yet.
To me you're doing a splendid job in here!
Congratulation and keep it going πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Thanks PogArt! I've been looking at a lot of artists graphite drawings of the ocean with birds and some are very abstract oceans which focus on the subject, while others have very precise oceans. When I look at photos, videos, and look myself at the ocean, its so changing based on the roughness of the ocean, the clouds casting shadows, etc. Its hard to decide what I want to do with the ocean, but I think I will leave it as it for now.