It's the holiday season

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

It's the holiday season

Post by rideum51 »

My Best Friend 4e1 20211129_18474915a.jpg
thought I would post my recent holiday type drawing. Probably would be a good greeting card.
Happy Holidays,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JayS

Re: It's the holiday season

Post by JayS »

I like it. There is always a special bond between women and horses. Would you consider taking the shadows from her face? While nature may dictate the shadows there are a lot of artistic reasons why a bright face would be a real feel good.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

While not taking anything away from a truly delightful drawing, I agree with Jay. Remove the lower half of the shadow across the girl's face. I can't find the right words this morning, but it's currently unsettling - and not very complimentary.

And - I know I'm really splitting hairs here - while the horse and clothing and hair and most everything else is well-drawn, the texture of her Stetson grabs my attention. That visible linear shading makes it look like a rough felt surface, rather than the smooth surface I think it probably had.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

thanks for our critique. I think the scanning process tended to exaggerate the texture of the hat, but I should have looked at the scan better.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

I love the contrast in sizes - the tiny little girl feeding this HUGE horse. Speaks so much of love and trust.
nothing to add re execution - Mike said it already.
will make a special Xmas card.