Martie

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
DavidBunyan

Re: Martie

Post by DavidBunyan »

Thanks for the comments and kind words on this.

Mike to have even a part of one of my drawings be called superb by you makes me happy. I take your point on the mouth area - the reference photo wasn't the clearest but I will do more research and look to improve further. I've added a sky reflection as suggested and can't believe how much character this adds. Once I've had chance to look at the mouth I'll post back on here.

Rideum, yes I've seen a couple of your drawings - lovely work!

Jay, you're right, I think each drawing occupies so much time I almost look forward to spraying the fixative so that I can turn my attention to something new. I'm going to do as suggested though - hide it away and not call it finished until I've seen it with fresh eyes.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

DavidBunyan wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:38 pm I take your point on the mouth area - the reference photo wasn't the clearest, but I will do more research and look to improve further.
Research is something I often had to do when I was drawing dogs. Often the references weren't the best, and it's very difficult (read: impossible) to successfully draw something you don't understand. I'd research other dogs of the same, or similar, breed and then use those to replace missing detail.

Cats are easier - there are fewer body shapes. And horses are even easier - they are basically all the same. One horse's mouth has exactly the same structure as another. So a quick Internet search (or books in the local library in my day :roll: ) should provide what you need to know.
I've added a sky reflection as suggested and can't believe how much character this adds.
I don't know what you were thinking while you worked on your drawing - so please only read this if you think it's applicable...

If you were working off the reference and trying to stay true to it... that way leads to problems. Ideally, use the reference for shape and detail and, as you work, think about what it is you're drawing. In other words, when drawing the eye, don't try to match values in the reference, or think that's how it has to look. Instead, tell yourself "this is a very shiny, watery, smooth, and very curved surface. And I know from my research it has a rectangular pupil". Now you'll feel it really should reflect the sky - even if your reference doesn't. Or that a key highlight might draw the viewer's eye directly to your subject.

The same with the nostrils - understand their three-dimensional form; know where your light is shining from; and draw what you understand, rather than what you see in the reference.

Here endeth today's sermon :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Mike’s advice is invaluable. I’ve had both experiences. I can more easily see where changes are made and I can also see where I’m being too critical and fiddling with something that’s just fine as is. In my case though, I don’t put it away but I prop it up in the living room so I see it when I enter the room at different times of day etc… That works the same way for me.

DavidBunyan

Post by DavidBunyan »

Thanks, Mike and Laurene, great advice!