Martie

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
DavidBunyan

Martie

Post by DavidBunyan »

Hello everyone, I've been following along with you exceptionally talented people for a while now, fully intending to introduce myself at some point, although didn't want to do so without first sharing some of my artwork. Unfortunately, speed is not one of my strong points, so has taken much longer to post than I would have liked.

I've been drawing for a few years now and have been lucky enough to attend a couple of Mike's workshops.

I'd really appreciate any comments that could help me improve, so any critiques would be welcome.

This is Martie, my daughters loan horse that sadly died last year :cry:

Drawn using Mars Carbon 2b,hb,2h on Conqueror Diamond White. The photo is a tiny bit darker than the drawing although I'm yet to fix it.

Many thanks Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LindasPencils

Re: Martie

Post by LindasPencils »

Marty is lovely.
My only critique is that I feel the dark of the mouth/lip area could be improved as currently it seems to lack form and is just a dark slash of tone. Perhaps a lighter highlight brought out on the edge of the lip with bluetack to create lip shine?
But it is a very, very good drawing and you should be proud of this work. I hope your daughter approves!

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Beautiful work! I just want to reach out and pet Marty! I haven't been drawing very long either, so I don't know how helpful my comments are going to be. I first wanted to say that I agree with Linda's comments. Another thing that you may want to examine further is the nostril. It appears that the lighting is coming straight down so I thought there should be more of a shadow in the nostril based on the lighting. Would the halter/headcollar/bridal (not sure of the terminology) strap with the holes (under the buckle) cast more of a shadow? If the light is coming straight down, does the bottom left of the neck need a little more shadowing? Just some thoughts. I would pay more attention to what others are saying. Great work!

DavidBunyan

Post by DavidBunyan »

Thank you for both of your observations, I agree with all of your comments have made some adjustments. I think I could probably go further but have decided to call it finished. Partly because I'm itching to get on to the next drawing. Thanks again Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

DavidBunyan wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:19 pm Thank you for both of your observations, I agree with all of your comments have made some adjustments. I think I could probably go further but have decided to call it finished. Partly because I'm itching to get on to the next drawing. Thanks again Dave
I'm glad you found the comments helpful, and the changes you made look great. The texturing of the horse's hair is fantastic! Congratulations on a beautiful drawing!

RobB

Post by RobB »

Lovely pony

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I agree with everything said so far. Except... :)

When I look at the thought and skill that's gone into the bridle, I find that missing in the mouth. If you weren't sure what was going on in there, research other images and you'll soon understand.

Also - possibly a personal preference - I'd really want to add a key highlight in the eye. And if that was too distracting, then at least a reflection of the sky in the upper half. Something a little brighter to add more shine and life.

Other than that - super job. Love the difference in texture between the mane and facial hair. And the superb leather-work.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

You know, Mike, your critics make all of us better pencil artists. Thanks kWheller, really nice drawing, As you may know I too am into horses and western scenes. Welcome

JayS

Post by JayS »

Nicely done. Calling it finished...? There is some value in putting a drawing up and looking at it for a week, month, year and then asking whether or not there is more to do. Why do we think we have to call a work done?

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

JayS wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:25 pm There is some value in putting a drawing up and looking at it for a week, month, year and then asking whether or not there is more to do. Why do we think we have to call a work done?
That's good advice, Jay. Personally, I put any drawing away for a week - or as long as it takes for me to forget exactly what it looks like. Well, maybe a week is being too optimistic :) Given that I only ever work on one drawing at a time, I can recall almost all of it for quite a long time. But only in detailed sections; working closely, I don't have a clear idea of its overall appearance. Anyway....

When the week, or whatever, is up, I carefully extract it from where it was hiding without looking at it. I stick two bits of Blu-Tack to the back, walk to the wall and - again without looking at it - fix it to the wall. I walk ten paces back, turn around... and that's the first time I will have seen it, exactly as everyone else will.

Sometimes there's a little balancing required. Perhaps the focus is too dominant, or not dominant enough? Or maybe it's a little too light at one side? Usually, though, I tend to accept it as it is. Once that decision has been made, I spray it with a matt workable fixative. That's not so I can rework it, but because the matt finish removes much of the graphite sheen and the darks pop, as I intended.

That's when I call it done and move on to the next drawing.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net