Little Owl

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
kwheller

Re: Little Owl

Post by kwheller »

LindasPencils wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:44 pm
Honestly? Only you can judge. This is a very good work as it stands and you don't need to fiddle with it further if you instinctively feel that it is 'done'. On the other hand, if you are unsure, do what I sometimes do - take it into a photo program.. a reasonable photocopy done of the work and try out on that.
Good point! Also, good ideas about ways to fiddle around with it. I am embarrassed to say that I do own an Affinity program which I am using to arrange composition, examine different contrast, change size, export, etc. However, I am still learning all the ways to use it to manipulate the drawing. I did use photocopies to play with it as you suggested. I think I am going to leave it the way it is. I really appreciate your insights and comments!

DavidBunyan

Post by DavidBunyan »

I think this looks lovely, you could go further with the deepness of shadows if you chose to but having said that I'm not sure I'd have thought that had I only seen your revised version. Definitely a drawing to be proud of. Coincedently an owl will be my next drawing.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

DavidBunyan wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:32 pm I think this looks lovely, you could go further with the deepness of shadows if you chose to but having said that I'm not sure I'd have thought that had I only seen your revised version. Definitely a drawing to be proud of. Coincedently an owl will be my next drawing.
Thank you so much for your kind words! I think you will enjoy drawing an owl. I have Barred Owls in my yard and may draw them at some point. Have you decided what type of owl you plan on drawing? Enjoy!!!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I think this is looking good now. The owl is definitely inside a hole, and that extra shadow joins him (or her) to the tree.

I'm trying to picture this with white paper. I usually try to adjust it before commenting, but I've no time to spare at present. So... apologies for this late reply... but the next video is progressing well :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

DavidBunyan

Post by DavidBunyan »

kwheller wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:05 pm
DavidBunyan wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:32 pm I think this looks lovely, you could go further with the deepness of shadows if you chose to but having said that I'm not sure I'd have thought that had I only seen your revised version. Definitely a drawing to be proud of. Coincedently an owl will be my next drawing.
Thank you so much for your kind words! I think you will enjoy drawing an owl. I have Barred Owls in my yard and may draw them at some point. Have you decided what type of owl you plan on drawing? Enjoy!!!
I'm thinking a Tawny Owl, but havent found a suitable reference pic yet. I'll keep you posted though :)

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

I'm thinking a Tawny Owl, but haven't found a suitable reference pic yet. I'll keep you posted though :)
That's a beautiful owl! Finding good references can be challenging. I'll look forward to seeing your owl picture!

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I love the way the little owl is snuggly nestled in his tree.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Mike Sibley wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:22 pm I think this is looking good now. The owl is definitely inside a hole, and that extra shadow joins him. I'm trying to picture this with white paper.
Hi Mike, Thank you for your wonderful feedback. It definately made this a stronger drawing. The Bristol Board was fairly white for this drawing. However, for my next drawing, I am using the Conqueror paper I got from you which is very white. I really like the paper so far!

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Laurene wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:42 pm I love the way the little owl is snuggly nestled in his tree.
Hi Laurene, Thank you for your kind comment!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

kwheller wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:13 am I usually do more detail work on trees and usually have deep, dark fissures (on trees that have them). I agree with you that having deeper black lines in some of the bark fissures will improve the tree, but I wonder if it will detract from the owl? I'm torn as to which way to go.
Personally... I'd leave it as it is. It says "tree" and that's all that's required. And the owl is definitely the focus.
Also, I used a hint of color in my last two drawings (Piranha and In Search of Dandelions) and was tempted to add some color to this drawing, but decided against it... I think this drawing works best as only graphite.
Phewwwww! Close call! This really DOESN'T need colour. It wouldn't add anything to our understanding, or your story. And it might (probably would) be an unwelcome distraction.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net