Little Owl

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
kwheller

Little Owl

Post by kwheller »

Little Owl was drawn on Strathmore Bristol 500 Series plate surface with Staedtler lead pencils, (2B, B, HB, F, H 2H). The person who commissioned the work just said they wanted an owl and I thought it would be interesting to draw one in a tree hole. After studying multiple photos and reference materials, I found a remarkable variation of Little Owls (of the same species) in terms of their coloring pattern, which resulted in reworking the piece first one way, then another. (I started wondering why I selected an owl in Europe and North Africa that I have never seen, instead of the Barred Owls that are outside my window. A little late for that.). I also struggled with deciding about the shading. I have some photos where the owl seems more recessed in the tree and has more shadowing while in other photos, the owl is in the tree hole and has no shadowing. Then there is the tree that could be more detailed, but I stopped here to get some feedback. I could really use your thoughts on the piece.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Little Owl

Post by Mike Sibley »

Love Little Owls! They're daytime flyers, and we used to see once regularly over our fields. There's still a fence post we call "Owl Post", because that's where it stopped to eat. Unfortunately, I found the owl dead in the lane one morning, and we haven't seen another one since. Barn and Tawny but no Little Owls.

OK, to the business in hand... :o)

First (and sort of last, too) is a chance for to make my usual stand for solid darks.
KATHY-22owl.jpg
The very first thing I noticed was the light values in the shading behind the owl's head. That could be due to light reflecting off the graphite, but I'll assume it isn't. In that case, those light patches are preventing the hole from being a hole. There is no light in the tree, so I'd expect the hole to black and featureless. The clues we use to understand a deep, dark hole is that it contains nothing.

Now the hole is dark and solid, not surprisingly, the owl looks too pale. The black of its eyes needs to be strengthened, and with that done, now the darks in its feathering need to be darker too - because it's lacking presence.

Finally, the shade cast by its beak suggests the light is shining from the left-hand side. So, I'm fairly confident that the edges of the hole would cast shade on the owl. I'd also add a little to the top of the head too, because that's receding into the darkness.

Other than that... it's super! Especially the texture of the bark, and character of the owl.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Mike Sibley wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:02 pmIn that case, those light patches are preventing the hole from being a hole. There is no light in the tree, so I'd expect the hole to black
How wonderful you have had Little Owls! They look wonderful, but we just don't have them in the US. Thank you for the very helpful feedback! I understand what needs to be done now. What do you think is the best way to get the hole darker? 2B with HB over it, or start with a 3B or 4B with 2B over it? I have seen your excellent video on Darks, so I'll review it as well. I did start with the darks first, but I struggle with getting it as dark as it needs to be ( I usually think I got it dark enough, not realizing it should be even darker). I'll darken the owl too as you suggested. Thanks for feedback on shadow, that makes perfect sense.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Little Owls are lovely and... ummmm... little :) We really enjoyed seeing ours until it died. I took photos of its body in the hope of drawing it one day, but I think I lost them when a hard drive failed.
What do you think is the best way to get the hole darker? 2B with HB over it, or start with a 3B or 4B with 2B over it?
Personally, I'd use 2B burnished with HB - but I don't know what you used, so I'd try... well, 2B over whatever is there now and then layer that with HB.
I did start with the darks first, but I struggle with getting it as dark as it needs to be (I usually think I got it dark enough, not realizing it should be even darker). I'll darken the owl too, as you suggested.

First, I try to choose an area - however small - that will be pure black, or as close to it as I can find. Then all other darks and values become balanced to that - and the white of the paper.

And once you've darkened the hole, I think you'll find your owl is too light, so that will need fixing too.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

I hope you have an opportunity to draw a little owl, even if you have to use other source material. It's so frustrating to lose pictures when the hard drive fails.
Mike Sibley wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:57 pm First, I try to choose an area - however small - that will be pure black, or as close to it as I can find. Then all other darks and values become balanced to that - and the white of the paper.
I seem to consistently fail in establishing my black as black enough on the first go around. Your emphasis on starting with an area as pure black as possible (or as close to it as can be found) just gave me an idea. I have a gray scale and value finder that I purchased and it has Value 1 as pure 100% black. I just compared it to the tree hole and pupils,. Wow! I am close to a Value 2, not near pure black. I think it will help me to use this each time I go to establish that pure black on the first go around (so I don't have to go back and readjust the other values, as you also pointed on in your videos).

I did use 2B burnished with HB, but my circles could have been tighter and fill the tooth better (and I also wasn't thinking about the hole actually being very black). I rarely need to go softer than a 2B (I do have up to 6B as well as other graphite pencils (General Pencil 9xxb), but its difficult for me to do precision texturing with soft lead. I may try a Staedtler 3B pencil and burnish with a B or go back to the 2B and burnish with the HB as you suggested. I may have a lighter touch with the pencil holder.

Thanks again!

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Here is a picture of the value finder I just used. It certainly has a pure black!

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

I darkened the background and eyes, and then the owl (since it looked pale) and added shadow. Hopefully the changes show well with this image. Thanks again Mike!!! Additional thoughts Mike or anyone?

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Lovely work KW - Mike's tips really helped to bring out the owl. You could also consider doing some deeper black line in some of the bark fissures to make the surface look really crackly.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

LindasPencils wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:14 am consider doing some deeper black line in some of the bark fissures to make the surface look really crackly.
Hi Linda: I really appreciate your comments and suggestions. I am struggling with the tree so I am so glad you brought this up. I usually do more detail work on trees and usually have deep,, dark fissures (on trees that have them). I agree with you that having deeper black lines in some of the bark fissures will improve the tree, but I wonder if it will detract from the owl? I'm torn as to which way to go.

Also, I used a hint of color in my last two drawings (Piranha and In Search of Dandelions) and was tempted to add some color to this drawing, but decided against it. (I love being Lindaesque as described by Mike under Piranha), but I think this drawing works best as only graphite).

Thanks again for your insights.

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

I wonder if it will detract from the owl? I'm torn as to which way to go.
Honestly? Only you can judge. This is a very good work as it stands and you don't need to fiddle with it further if you instinctively feel that it is 'done'. On the other hand, if you are unsure, do what I sometimes do - take it into a photo program (even your phone has a simple version) and fiddle around with it there. If you don't have a phone or computer to do this with, just get a reasonable photocopy done of the work and try out on that. If you get a few photocopies done you can really push the limits without endangering your original.
You could always post those trials here and ask Mike to comment (or others!). It is a fine line between enhancement of the tree and over doing it.