BUTTERFLY PROJECT - Try it yourself

Take part in a Public Project. Download any references, guidelines, and instructions; post your results, or part-completed work if you need assistance; and join in the group fun!
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

BUTTERFLY PROJECT - Try it yourself

Post by Mike Sibley »

new_24.gif
Watch "NEGATIVE DRAWING - Part2" and the BUTTERFLY DRAWING... and then....
WHITE-PEACOCK-400.jpg
Try it yourself.

I've received quite a lot of interest in this drawing, so I've just made everything freely available:
  • The references
  • Basic Guideline drawing - (positioning and shapes only)
  • Detailed Guideline drawing - (the guidelines I used... with the butterfly's wings repaired)
  • A copy of my drawing to use as a guide.
Your aim should be to create your own world around the guidelines, not to copy mine! You can if you wish, but you'll enjoy it a lot more (and learn more) if you draw everything the way you see it, in your world.

If you need assistance or advice, post your drawing to this topic at any stage. And when completed, post it to the Graphite Gallery, so we can all admire your work!

As soon as I have time I'll make a full length video on this drawing but, in the meantime, "NEGATIVE DRAWING - Part2" contains everything you might need. And you can see many of the stages of my drawing here.

BUTTERFLY-PROJECT-tiff - best quality / longer download
BUTTERFLY-PROJECT-jpeg - lower quality / shorter download

ENJOY! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Shmush

Re: BUTTERFLY PROJECT - Try it yourself

Post by Shmush »

Thanks for sharing. This will be fun and with realistic expectations perhaps not too discouraging when I compare my efforts to yours. Hopefully lots of people will try this project and post their results, it will be interesting to see the variety of interpretations.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Shmush wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:31 am Thanks for sharing. This will be fun and with realistic expectations, perhaps not too discouraging when I compare my efforts to yours. Hopefully lots of people will try this project and post their results, it will be interesting to see the variety of interpretations.
It can be very enjoyable, Smush!

To get a good idea how this project might work out - take a look at my
Negative Drawing workshop at WetCanvas
It went on for quite a long time (over 3 years) and a good time was had by all :)

Some followed the supplied "Bindweed and Hoverfly" guidelines, and others applied the same learning to their own subjects. Either way, they all explored the many benefits of Negative Drawing.

So, take a look at what you could be enjoying here - download the references (or use your own) - and let us know in this topic that you're joining us.

You've nothing to lose, and a lot to gain ;)
Mike Sibley

rideum51

Butterfly

Post by rideum51 »

Mike's butterfly1 20210920_13401188-001.jpg
I guess the word is help! Although the scan is worse then the drawing, the problem is obvious. Why cannot I not get even gradations? I use the circle technique almost exclusively although I will go over it later with more linear strokes. I find it impossible to get black with 2B without really pressing hard and even then +/-. Mike your drawing is just so even shaded what is your technique. I promise if you tell me I will take your secret to the grave. lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

rideum51 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:02 pm I never realized how hard it was to draw a darn, lol, leaf. I started by trying to ignore your drawing, that lasted a very short time. Hopefully as I progress, I'll have a better understanding.
For best results, I suggest you use the foreground as supplied and create your own background. For you to get lost in it, and feel the need to create more foliage here and there, it needs to be your world, not mine.

On the other hand, if my leaves help you to draw yours, then that's useful.

Personally, I'd begin somewhere deep in the background. That way you can experiment until you get a feel for drawing leaves. And those background leaves won't need much, or any, detailing - just suggestions of form.
Mike Sibley

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Butterfly

Post by Mike Sibley »

rideum51 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:01 pm Why can I not get even gradations? I use the circle technique almost exclusively, although I will go over it later with more linear strokes. I find it impossible to get black with 2B without really pressing hard, and even then +/-. Mike, your drawing is just so even shaded. What is your technique. I promise, if you tell me, I will take your secret to the grave. :)
First, I moved your original post here - just to keep everything "Butterfly" in one place.

Let's start with the basics. What paper are you using? If it's textured, that will interfere with your shading. If it's a little soft - like watercolour paper or Bristol board - it will be more difficult to control your shading. Bear in mind that I'm using the smoothest paper I can find. That's Conqueror Diamond White, which is similar to (but even smoother than) Strathmore 300.

One of the reasons I'm asking is because there's no reason why really pressing hard shouldn't be possible - unless your paper won't permit it. If pressing hard causes damage, use layering. Try a 6B instead, or even an 8B, and then layer over that with 2B - and perhaps HB too. Whatever it takes to completely fill the tooth. You'll gain the darkness of one with the smoother finish of the other.

Next... slow down :) I can't tell, but I get the feeling that you're rushing a bit. Not fully concentrating on one leaf at a time. Treat each one as a separate drawing. And don't be concerned about detail in the background leaves. Keep that for the foreground.

There are two other points I want to mention:
RIDEUM-butterfly1.jpg
If you want one element to appear to be in front of another, sharp edges matter. They are essential. Any softness will cause the viewer's eye to try to merge the two surfaces together. You need sharp separation to... well... separate things. I had a go at the leaves #1 to #3. They are possibly sharper than I intended, but I was doing it quickly in Affinity.

And finally... this is possibly just my personal perception... but don't you think in a real situation you'd expect to see something in the dark band of area #4? Even if it's hazy and deep in the shade, I'm sure something - or some things - would appear to cross that black hole.
Mike Sibley

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

This is my composition. My main plant is the same as Mike’s. It didn’t start out that way. I tried an analytical approach. Researching White Peacock Butterflies and the type of plants they like. After a lot of research, I came back to using Mike’s references as the main plant. Even so, I think learning about WP butterflies and looking at so many plants helped build my visual catalog, which will hopefully show in my final results.
I started my composition in Photoshop –Pasting cutout leaves from another plant photo into one of Mike’s photos (with the butterfly removed). Though it didn’t make a great composition, it was a stress-free starting point. However, since the results just looked like a mess of leaves rather than a pleasing composition, I decided hand sketching the plants might be a better approach. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to create and modify surrounding leaves, since I usually work directly from photographs or the real thing, not my imagination. I had “stumbled” into a way of developing my “artist eye” without the stress (well actually I have absorbed lessons from Mike’s teaching). 1) Study your subject before drawing 2) break it down into steps, if not working, break it down into even smaller steps.
The butterfly I cut from another picture, then created it into a black/white line drawing using Photoshop. The line drawing was created following Mike’s directions found as Bonus 2 included with Guidelines:Device Methods in the Basic video section. (also, there are directions for creating a line drawing in Paint Shop Pro). After scanning my hand sketched plant into photoshop I layered my, now line drawn butterfly, into the scene.
It is at this stage modification can most easily be made, so any suggestions or comments are welcome.
butterfly pic comp smaller copy.jpg

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

This is a sample background (not on my best paper, at this point). I don’t think these “deep shadows” are overly convincing, though it is hard to tell when that is only thing completed in a picture. As I keep drawing I’m getting closer to thinking “leaves”, but I don’t think it shows in my end results, yet. Not a lot of variation of values which are part of what gives depth, nor an impression of leaves. Suggestions as to how to improve, along with practice and more practice, would be greatly appreciated.
It has been awhile since I’ve actually done any drawing. So I feel a bit rusty and this is a technique I am just learning. Already I learned a few mechanical things. A very soft brush works better than a somewhat stiff brush for removing debris. It is less likely to spread graphite over your paper (unless for some reason that is what you want to do ;) I also like stiff vellum for under my working hand. I find the stiff, plastic like surface works well (and I just happen to have a lot of it around). I also like being able to see the artwork under the protective covering as I draw.
sample leaves003 copy.jpg

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Shmush wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:48 pm My main plant is the same as Mike’s. It didn’t start out that way. I tried an analytical approach. Researching White Peacock Butterflies and the type of plants they like. After a lot of research, I came back to using Mike’s references as the main plant.
...possibly because the plant I used was the one it was standing on? :roll: Well, in truth, it was the same butterfly on a plant alongside that one, but the same type. Photographed, incidentally, just outside Clearwater in Florida.
...I think learning about WP butterflies and looking at so many plants helped build my visual catalog, which will hopefully show in my final results.
And that's what the two latest "Texture" videos (and the next) are attempting to promote. Although they feature Textures, in an ideal world, no matter what the subject is, you really need to know what you're drawing, not just its appearance. I think the next video (which I'm currently writing) will really reinforce the need for exploration and research.
...since the results just looked like a mess of leaves rather than a pleasing composition, I decided hand sketching the plants might be a better approach. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to create and modify surrounding leaves, since I usually work directly from photographs or the real thing, not my imagination.
I think you discovered the secret yourself. It is both "easy" and free - once you're free of references, you'll tend to draw what you expect to see in Nature, because that's what you know - all your past observations and experiences come together to guide you. The same applies to balance in the composition - balance feels natural.
The butterfly I cut from another picture, then created it into a black/white line drawing using Photoshop
Excellent! And I say that because it ensures accuracy, although it is an impersonal method. But that will become corrected, because you will later have to render that down to line - when you transfer it to your drawing paper, for example. Personally, I'd insert a stage between the two, where I'd purposefully draw, or even trace, your Photoshop-generated drawing, and then seek to see if alterations might improve it within my composition. Whichever way you choose, that final rendering of line will involve some degree of exploration. When you begin drawing, you'll already be well-acquainted with your subject. And the line stage might also unearth possible problems that you can fix before you begin the drawing. For example, to the right of the left-hand row of eye-spots are marking that are in a straight vertical line. That might later prove to be a distraction. I'm not advocating you move any of those marking, but you might choose to make some stronger than others, to break the obvious line.
It is at this stage modification can most easily be made, so any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Your butterfly is intact (unlike mine!) and you've produced a wonderful array of interesting shapes in the leaves. My only advice - assuming it's needed ;) - is to not forget to create depth in the spaces between the leaves. Your leaves vary from foreground to midground, and a background does not currently exist. I suspect, like me, you'll find the best solution is to create that background as you're drawing, with no prior planning at all. As I said earlier, you'll draw what you instinctively expect to see in Nature. Just bear in mind, that in Nature, not everything is clearly visible. If you push some elements so far back into the shade that they almost disappear, you'll create both a natural mystery and great depth.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress. Do please post regular updates.
Mike Sibley

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Shmush wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:18 am This is a sample background (not on my best paper, at this point). I don’t think these “deep shadows” are overly convincing,
I've had a play - right of centre :)
MARY-sample leaves003.jpg
I wasn't trying to "correct" anything, or even make it look natural, simply to explain that you need to keep your edges super sharp. As soon as you do that, you can push some elements way back into the shade, and they'll still be visible. At present, all your background features are very similar in value, which only adds one layer of depth.

Also, try to include at least one small area of pure black in each section of background. That black is a reference for the viewer, so they understand where the extreme background is. Then you build layers coming forwards from that. And the occasional element curving back into the black helps too, because it will connect all the layers.
Mike Sibley