Telling Your Story

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Telling Your Story

Post by Mike Sibley »

While enjoying Laurene's "Red-tailed Hawks" post I was reminded that every drawing tells a story.

Surely it's the purpose of any drawing? It might be as simple as "I want you to see the beauty in this that I see" or it might be more complex.

Personally, I find the story-telling is what immerses me in a drawing. It has a purpose. And I have a desire to tell that story. This extends to "simple" head-studies too. I always know what the dog was thinking. Its mood. What it was doing, or is about to do. I'm drawing a frozen moment within that time span, but that moment has a history and a future. That, for me, brings the animal alive, and it's hopefully reflected in the result.

So, all my drawings are based around a story but this one is perhaps the most involved. It was commissioned by my New York dealer on behalf of their client. Prints were to be made available to the Scottish Deerhound Club of America, and various suggestions were made - "no dead animals" being one. Other suggestions were a loch, bagpipes, castles and kilts - all of which I chose to ignore :) Putting together research and some knowledge of hunting and the breed, I came up with this:
ScottishDeerhounds.jpg
"Scottish Deerhounds" by Mike Sibley

Every aspect of this study has its place. The bellowing stag is with its hinds, so it's the closed season for hunting. The huntsman is calling his loose dog to its leash. The small-game bag over his shoulder tells us his quarry is probably rabbits but certainly not deer. And (at the far end of the trees) I did manage to squeeze in a hint of loch :)

As an aside: The entire project from accepting the commission to print delivery in the US was accomplished in just five weeks! Some years later a box of unsold prints was discovered under a bed. Earlier this year I bought back the final 36 unsold copies (at 10 times the price I was paid to produce them!) and they are available here with close-up views of the drawing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Re: Telling Your Story

Post by Laurene »

I commented on your composition in the "Gallery" section so I won't repeat it here, and some of the story that I told myself looking at it is slightly different from yours, but that's the point isn't it? Triggering the viewer's imagination is one of the great joys of producing art. Whether it's music, sculpting, drawing and painting it's wonderful to realize that we connected with the viewer on some level!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:16 pm ... but that's the point, isn't it? Triggering the viewer's imagination is one of the great joys of producing art.
That's precisely the point. I have a story to tell, but if the viewer concocts their own from what I'm displaying... wonderful! They've been drawn in and are now involved. I couldn't hope for more :)

Conversely, a piece of art created to, perhaps, showcase the artist's skill - or for whatever reason other than conveying a story or message - is just a cold, static image.

Or am I being uncharitable? :?
Mike Sibley

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Have not previously really thought enough about this....but I have an idea for a story I would like to turn into a drawing to give to my sister as an Xmas present. Any help/advice would be gratefully appreciated. The Story: two years ago I bought my sister and brother in law an apple tree when they moved into their new house. They have been very proud of its progress, sending me regular updates on its development. (They don’t have children or pets!!). This autumn there were 21 apples on the tree - but squirrels pinched 8 of them, leaving them with 13. Top right image is the actual tree in their garden, others are ideas.
B1FC92FC-E6FA-4714-8B66-5E9B48369A65.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I love the story Elaine. I think that the lower left photo where the squirrel is peeking around the fence post is priceless. He looks like a thief! Maybe he could be peeking around a branch of the apple tree instead.

That brings me to the tree. Being so small at this stage, it might be worth exploring a composition which zooms in on the branches rather than trying to depict the whole tree. The scale of squirrel to branch might work out better that way.

Here's an image from alamy.com. It can be purchased for personal use or it might just be inspiration for placing your squirrels on the tree branches. Here's the link and the image:
TR9Y7W.jpg
https://www.alamy.com/red-squirrel-stan ... d0%26pl%3d

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Conversely, a piece of art created to, perhaps, showcase the artist's skill - or for whatever reason other than conveying a story or message - is just a cold, static image.

Or am I being uncharitable? :?
No, I don't think so Mike. But I do think that sometimes the "story" can be left more to the viewer's imagination by playing with lighting and setting a mood, if you know what I mean. I've been working on an owl composition and I found that the more I played with it the more I wanted to simplify it. I don't want either the scene or the owl to steal the show. I have it pared down to what might seem like a simple portrait, but I'm trying to play with arrows etc in a very subtle way to create some tension. :roll: Oh well, that's the plan anyway :lol:

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Laurene, thank you very much for your suggestions . the peeping squirrel is brilliant isn't it? I love the idea of him peeping around a tree branch, so could maybe do something along similar lines to the alamy pic. I had also wondered about just doing part of a more interesting apple tree - this one is quite boring. It is a very simple story to tell, but as a first attempt at a composition, it is quite challenging. . I quite liked the idea of there being only 13 apples left on the tree....which will be of no significance to anyone other than my sister! Your help is very much appreciated.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

ElaineH wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:36 pm I love the idea of him peeping around a tree branch, so could maybe do something along similar lines to the alamy pic.
If it helps, I have a lot of photos of squirrels looking around trees. Such as this one:
Squirrel-2.jpg
They are Gen-u-ine Texaaaas squirrels. None of your fancy Limey red stuff. But then our British grey squirrels are American by origin. I have many others looking around vertical trunks too.

Suffering for my art, I used to sit in Fred's San Antonio back yard in 100 degree comfort, with my camera aimed at the Scrub Oaks that populated his lawn. If you think they might be useful, and if I can find them all, which I think I can, I'll happily zip them up and send you a download link.
Mike Sibley

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Thanks Mike, that would be brilliant.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I found some of them but I'm certain I have more (although I did lose thousands when a hard drive failed). I'll have another search tomorrow and then send you a link to what I have.
Mike Sibley