In Search of Dandelions (Tortoise)

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
kwheller

Re: In Search of Dandelions (Tortoise)

Post by kwheller »

Mike Sibley wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:58 pm Affinity Photo
Hi Mike:
Thank you so much for such wonderful clear directions! (The book I have on Affinity is not helpful at all). I will try it this week! Thanks again for taking the time to explain how its done.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

kwheller wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:40 pm Right now it is proportional to the 45 lb tortoise (who will reach 100 lbs or so)!
Now it all makes sense!!!! :D :)

I was picturing it as being like my sister's 40+ year-old little tortoise - but with spurs :roll:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

JayS

Post by JayS »

Increasing contrast shows dramatic differences between the two images. I think the spurs are great!

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

I darkened the shell (to more align with the actual tortoise's shell) and also increased the contrast. I kept the size of the dandelion since it is proportional to the size of this young and growing 4 year old African Spurred Tortoise. However, I did add a tint of color to the dandelion and its leaves. This is a photo of the work and unfortunately there is a bit of reflection on the photo of the drawing. The background is also a bit lighter. I really appreciate everyone's comments and encouragement. The owners of the tortoise didn't realize I was drawing her and immediately bought it when I showed it to them. Hooray!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Congratulations on selling your drawing! I smiled as soon as I saw it. The way you posed your tortoise gives it character and a sense of purpose as it zeroes in on that dandelion. Lovely drawing!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

kwheller wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:01 pm I darkened the shell... and also increased the contrast. I kept the size of the dandelion, since it is proportional to the size of this young and growing 4-year-old African Spurred Tortoise. However, I did add a tint of color to the dandelion and its leaves.
All good, logical decisions, and everything perfectly judged.
The owners of the tortoise didn't realize I was drawing her and immediately bought it when I showed it to them. Hooray!
Congratulations on the sale! Although I'd be a bit miffed if they hadn't bought it. It's a super drawing that deserves to be displayed.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

JayS wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:25 pm I think the spurs are great!
Thanks so much! The spurs were a lot of fun to draw!

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Laurene wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:53 am The way you posed your tortoise gives it character and a sense of purpose as it zeroes in on that dandelion. Lovely drawing!
Hi Laurene, Thanks for your kind comments! I was trying to convey that sense of purpose!

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Mike Sibley wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:56 pm It's a super drawing that deserves to be displayed.
Hi Mike: I appreciate your wonderful comments! Thanks for helping me develop my drawing!