Kids "n" Horses

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Shmush

Re: Kids "n" Horses

Post by Shmush »

Rideum51, you are certainly right about the importance of the boys facial expression. That serious contemplative look caught my attention right away. Then I began to notice the fantastic details which help tell the story.

I agree with Linda about the right hand glove. The left hand oversized glove is so much a part of the story, it needs a matching right. I can absolutely believe it looked like that in the original. Why is it often details which look acceptable in a photograph do not carry over well in our artwork? I noticed that early on and see it as a major challenge to know what details need to be modified as well as how to modify them.

While I am rambling, one more thought. You mentioned starting over and having much better results (certainly worth it, this is great art!) anyhow, though my artwork isn’t equal to yours I have noticed anytime I do a piece of art at least a second time the improvement can almost be starling.

As others have said, you should certainly do the other picture you posted. Looking at it from the outside there is every reason to believe you are up to the challenge!

JayS

Re: Kids "n" Horses

Post by JayS »

This is my first look at the forum in a long time. What great work and wonderful feedback. I'm an old Colorado Cowboy and I probably looked a lot like that kid many moons ago. Good job.