Kids "n" Horses

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
rideum51

Kids "n" Horses

Post by rideum51 »

Kids n Horses1 20210727_13045851.jpg
Kids "n" Horses, always a great topic. I've been out of pocket for a while. I see there has been alot of great work posted since I was here last. This is my latest, actually it's the second drawing of the same subject. Where to start? Upper left hand corner, dark first light later or reverse, easy areas first hard later, they all have positives and negatives. On the first attempt at this drawing I did the face near the end, big mistake, couldn't get it right. When I was all done I hated his expression and could not get it right even with several attempts. Being so small but such an important part of the mood I started all over again. Actually I'm glad i did because the whole drawing got better. His expression is much better, not what I really want but at this scale ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Kids "n" Horses

Post by Laurene »

Oh my! From the oversized hat to those tiny boots in those huge stirrups, this has to be one of your best pieces!! The detailed textures are wonderfully rendered, but it’s the feeling that this conveys that makes it a great drawing. The confident look on that little face says it all. Serious congratulations on this one.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

rideum51 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:36 pm His expression is much better, not what I really want but at this scale ?
I couldn't have stop myself looking at your amazingly detailed and well drawn art from West to East, and from South to North, and back again!
Wonderful details, great art indeed!
You've made me curious what size it actually is, I assume it's a small size?
So details weren't easy at all to master them the way you did...
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Wonderful work Ride'um. Overall I think you have created a winning piece. If I might make one small observation - I am concerned about 'his' right hand (on our left). I feel it is small and somewhat distorted. This may be a result of his riding gloves, but it annoys me a bit because the rest of the work is so outstanding.
From the zip and quilting jacket, to his boots to the textures of the blanket, hat and horse hair this is a great work.

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Laurene, PogArt, LindasPencils, thanks for your comments. The drawing is 10 x 12. Linda I understand your comment regarding the right hand. In looking again at the reference photo it's close to what was shown. I think the oversized adult glove on his left hand has a lot to do with the right hand appearing small. With that in mind I could make it a little larger to compensate.

I'm next going to tackle the most difficult drawing I have ever attempted.
The Big Dry Creek when it's not20210806_13074727.jpg
OMG, that dry creek when it's not is going to be close to impossible.

How about some thoughts on how to tackle it?
Mike please provide with with your thoughts on how to approach this your comments on kids "n" horses. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Wow, that's quite a challenge.

I've only drawn that expanse of water once... and I had a Plan B. If it didn't work out - it would be grass. ;) But you don't have that option.

How would I tackle this? I'm really not sure. Most probably, I'd want to discard the water as it appears here. That said, I'm not sure what I'm looking at. The horse appears to be in water from the base up to its hind legs. Behind that? I think it's more water leading to... I'm getting a stiff neck looking at this sideways: :roll:
RIDEUM-Creek.jpg
That's better! Drawn "as is" - I think the water has so many bright reflections that they'd be a terrible distraction. So, I'd simplify it. Smoothing it out, with occasional ripples. Then I could concentrate on the water where it matters - particularly the half-raised left-hand front leg that is splashing the water. There's a ring of reflection around the base of the right-hand front leg that I'd keep too. I've found just adding a thin highlight of surface tension (which wouldn't occur in moving water, but it looks OK) helps to visually split legs from water.

Are those rocks I can see beneath the surface? If so, you could try using those, which is what I did:
GunnersideGhyll.jpg
I used the rocks to suggest depth; foam on the surface, which cut across some rocks, to define the surface of the water; feet obviously standing in the water; and hints of highlight from the water around the feet, to make their separation from water obvious.

The rest, you know how to draw. No question of that.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

Thanks Mike, I may have to admit it's beyond my abilities. May give it a try though.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

rideum51 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:11 am I may have to admit it's beyond my abilities. May give it a try though.
I don't think it's beyond you. And there's only one way to find out :)

The idea for the water I drew (my first ever water) was gathered from a reference - but the actual water I drew was entirely imaginary. I think you could do the same here. Maybe find a way of suggesting the sparkle on the surface without it being so overpowering. Perhaps adding obvious splashing water being thrown out from that moving leg.

I think this might be a great opportunity for you to break away from the reference and draw what you know based on experience and whatever you can gather from your reference. Remember, nobody looking at your drawing - apart from us :) - will have seen the reference.

And what the water looks like is only of importance for telling the story you want to tell. There is absolutely no reason why it should look like the water in your photo.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Wow! Your drawing is amazing and I really love the expression on the boys face as well as the horse. The texturing and contrasts are fantastic. I am really looking forward to seeing you do this next drawing. I really found Mike's comments interesting and helpful regarding breaking away from the reference and drawing what you know based on experience (and what can be gathered from the reference). You are a great storyteller in your drawings and I am sure this next one will be no exception.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

rideum51 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:31 pm How about some thoughts on how to tackle it?
You have to GO FOR IT !!!
It will be amazing drawing I'm sure about it ;)
Good luck !
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*