Free hand portraiture attempt...

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Re: Free hand portraiture attempt...

Post by PogArtTi »

kwheller wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:37 am Anyway, I am enjoying watching this drawing develop and thank you for sharing this wonderful drawing.
Thank you very much for keen words ;)
I do appreciate your time spent to share your thoughts.
Unfortunately there's no updates recently to upload for you and for other members...
I'm being a bit too active recently for nearly a month now.
I've started learning the inline skating a year ago, the target was to commute daily by skates.
This is literally the reason I did stop drawing for the last few weeks - just being tired, lots of overtimes to afford for proper dress for any weather, because I can't book or choose skating in good weather only (I wish I could!!!).
So the cloths cost fortune (the proper ones that work well)...
For example I could afford the Gore Wear short sleeve shirt - windstopper fabric.
I'm setting out to work even 3:50am sometime, it's dark, usually chill, showers sometime...
Unbelievable that this thin short sleeve shirt keeps me warm even at 10C degrees...
I'm missing my drawings very much, and I'm just looking forward to get some proper day off to finish this portrait, because there's not much left, but I know they aren't on rush too, so therefore I know I can let myself a bit of lazyness in this matter...
At the present I'm just taking any overtimes possible to save money, what means I'm working at my free of work days, which is affecting my time that I usually spending on drawing.
I have holiday start next week, so I just can't wait to be honest ;)
Thank you again for kind comment, and I hope you may appreciate the finished portrait as well ;)
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

Good luck with the inline skating and hope you keep warm! Im sure you will get back to drawing. It can be difficult to fit everything in. Looking forward to the finished portrait when you are able to return to it.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

kwheller wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:08 am Looking forward to the finished portrait when you are able to return to it.
I'm appreciate your kindness very much ;)
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

JayS

Post by JayS »

As a new person to the forum I enjoyed seeing the progression of your drawing all at once. You demonstrated for me what I think of as successive approximation...with each time spent drawing the drawing gets better and better. Good job

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

JayS wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:32 pm As a new person to the forum I enjoyed seeing the progression ... Good job
Thank you very much for time to post keen words 😉
And ... WELCOME to the forum!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It's terrible feeling when I'm missing drawing, but at the same time I'm doing nothing...
I have tried random tricks to feed my motivation up, it's working for some time, unfortunately not for long...
Then again ;)
This is why I'm never gonna be full time artist, just because of my lazyness 😅
Please forgive me long time not posting, I'm about to change it, because I'm about to try another trick - recording me drawing and post it on my YouTube Channel.
As you know I started inline skating (rollerblading) and I do enjoy watching videos posted by friends...
This's motivated me to start learning making some similar videos myself, and it is also something I wanted to do regarding my drawing.
I have made a few very basic and simple short videos already, and uploaded them on my YouTube Channel.
The channel will be covering my random hobbies, some skating, some drawing, maybe something else that come up my mind...?
At this point I'm not sure if I should uploading mixed hobbies at one place together...?
It's because usually if you follow YouTube Channel it's just about one subject, whatever it is, it's always separate subject matter...
Maybe I should keep it only for skating or only for drawing instead...
Maybe uploading different videos will not make sense and will confuse ...?
Anyway it is very fresh idea in my mind at the moment - I'm keep thinking about it...

This is today's session.
I think I'll finish it by tomorrow.
It's been way too long since I started, it should have been finished long ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm positive that the face is finished today.
I've shared it with the recipient, and I was assured of their acceptance, but I'm awaiting for this lovely subject's daughter to share her opinion to me.
I'm happy how the face turned out, but the tree.., and the background bothers me.
These branches behind are meant to be washed out, fading away, bug they look flat to me if I leave it like this...
I'm worry if I start improving their shape, they may become more prominent, distracting the viewer from the main subject?
An advice will be appreciate 😊
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Personally, I think you, as the artist, are looking at every part equally and worrying about the tree. But I doubt anyone else viewing it will see more than the face, which is incidentally framed by a tree - and that they probably won't even notice it is a tree.

That's especially true because the face is so full of character, and contrasty. Lovely job!
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:54 pm Personally, I think you, as the artist, are looking at every part equally and worrying about the tree.
That's very true Mike...
Thank you for pointing it out to me ;)
But I doubt anyone else viewing it will see more than the face, which is incidentally framed by a tree - and that they probably won't even notice it is a tree.
Once again I think you're right...
I'm too worry, and thinking of every tinny bit of the drawing, where I should be able to see the whole piece instead...
I'm bothering about single puzzles, but I should look at it as a finished composition - I get it Mike ;)

Thank you very much for your time spent writing this keen comment ;)

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

I must admit I was drawn to the face and how wonderful it looked. Such expression and warmth! I didn't even notice the tree until I was reading what Mike wrote. Great point, Mike. I fell right into that category of not noticing the tree at all.