Free hand portraiture attempt...

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Re: Free hand portraiture attempt...

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:20 am You're definitely capturing her personality. Keep going! :)
Thank you very much my friend 🀘🀠
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Today's progress - the eyes...
Pushing the details.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm thinking I'm done with the face for now πŸ€”
I'm struggling to think of further improvement TBH...
I'm going to finish the ear and the hair later on and Agnes will be finished.
I'm still looking at that tree, not sure whether to leave it as it is, or push the details even more (obviously I'm relating to the bottom middle of the tree, which I like to be in focus).
Any critique is always very welcome πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Not wishing to appear ungentlemanly, but.... is it your intention to knock a decade or two off her age? :oops:

She has quite a few facial wrinkles, especially on her upper lip. A few on her chin too.

You've captured her character, and she's definitely Agnes... just a younger Agnes :D
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:47 pm is it your intention to knock a decade or two off her age?
Yes, that's right my friend πŸ˜‰πŸ‘
It seems you've skipped some description I was making earlier 😁
They have requested me to *photoshop the wrinkles and make her look younger πŸ˜…
I'm doing my best in here πŸ˜…
Therefore most part of the neck is blurred πŸ˜…
But I couldn't have stop myself regarding some more details around her eyes πŸ˜‹
I tried to do it gently, though πŸ˜…
Yes Mike, I'm trying to blur the wrinkles or flatten their appearance as far as I can, but at the same time make them noticeable...
I am the PhotoShop in here 🀣

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: ↑Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:44 pm It seems you've skipped some description I was making earlier 😁
They have requested me to *photoshop the wrinkles and make her look younger πŸ˜…
In that case.... you've succeeded admirably!

And I apologise for missing that part of your post. I just went back and read through it all.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:18 am And I apologise for missing that part of your post. I just went back and read through it all.
I don't mind you skipping some descriptions entirely Mike at all!
You don't need to read full boring story all the time πŸ˜… (I know myself, I'm writing too much of boring things 🀣🀣🀣!)
Just this (bit) you've missed - not any trouble at all πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Stay safe and Jenny πŸ’ž

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I think her family will love your portrait! I love the way you changed her expression just very subtly to suggest a smile. Her eyes are warm and inviting too.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: ↑Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:22 pm I think her family will love your portrait! I love the way you changed her expression just very subtly to suggest a smile. Her eyes are warm and inviting too.
Thank you for keen words 😊
I'm just trying to make her appearance warming, subtle smiling, welcoming ... 😊
Thank you very much Laurene.

kwheller

Post by kwheller »

You are very successful in attracting the viewer to the face instead of highlighting wrinkles.(I think the wrinkles give her character, but I understand they don't want them in there). Her expression has such warmth and just makes me smile! Excellent work! I also wanted to add that your freehand looked great and very close to the reference. (I typically use a light box instead of a projector, so I do understand that we are to practice our freehand. My freehand needs a lot of work, however.) Anyway, I am enjoying watching this drawing develop and thank you for sharing this wonderful drawing.