Free hand portraiture attempt...

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Re: Free hand portraiture attempt...

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: ↑Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:20 am Iβ€˜m interested in seeing your vision for the tree develop.
Thank you Laurene.
I was watching bunch of pictures of the Birch tree, to be honest it's first time I've discovered there's couple of variations?!
Anyway having in mind those pictures I started off with this branch shape...
This is how I've drawn this, this curved shape was created intuitively - please share your opinion Laurene of how it should be drawn, as I expect it isn't the best shape, and these branch curves actually might not work too well the way I've drawn them πŸ€”
I wish I could see your way, how you would drawn that tree to compliment the portrait much better...
I may learn some from you πŸ₯°
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Well, it’s your vision that’s important here.

All I can add is that here in eastern Canada, the bark is really very light in colour, almost white. Also except for where the bark peels back, it’s very very smooth. The trunks grow thin and tall. The overall effect is quite delicate. If it were here, the tree trunks would act as a backdrop. No branches would be low enough to cross in front of the subject. I don’t know if your birches are similar though, so framing your subject this way might be perfect for your trees. Anyway, I trust your instincts Artur and I know that you can see the finished portrait in your mind. Definitely follow your instincts.

I’m not very knowledgeable about trees, but birches ou β€œbouleaux” in French have always fascinated me. If you’ve never seen a birch bark canoe you have to Google it. They’re beautiful!! They were used by the indigenous people here. They were important in mapping out and exploring Canada. The French β€œcoureurs des bois” (translates to runners of the woods) used them in the fur trade. The bark was also used as writing paper .

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I like what you shared in here, also it's so interesting to know about this bark canoe!
I'll search for pictures in one moment πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Yes, I know what you saying regarding the trunks of the Birches, I know them exactly to grow up the same, no really any curved trunks, but straight upwards instead πŸ‘

In my drawing I wanted to wrap up the subject's face by that tree, as it's meant to be her son if you remember...
So she is important, obviously, but also the tree itself.
Straighten up trunk of the thin Birch would be pointless in here.
Placed at the background would not be attracting viewer enough, nor suggesting any of related connection to the subject πŸ€”
The only way I could tell that relationship was to make the tree "noticeable" but not dominant at same time...
Therefore those curves came up my mind...
In focus at the bottom, framing the mother's face, giving a hug ..?, then fading away at left, and going up behind the subject to create kind of background as well, starts from the foreground and disappears behind - sort of πŸ‘
Anyway there's couple of types of Birches, and mine is not meant to be young straight upward growing tree, but the old branch rather, fatigued by weather, life matter...
It is the symbol of her 50 year old son rather, than naturally growing tree πŸ€”
By the way I saw on Google similar branches coming out the Birches, so I did adjust it to my vision of the portrait Laurene πŸ‘
I hope you like my story behind πŸ˜‰
Thank you for your keen attention!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Yes, I knew that you had a vision for your portrait. I’m sure the family will relate to the story your composition tells. I’m looking forward to an update.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: ↑Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:18 am I did share the above free hand sketch to the friends, who did ask me to draw this portraiture...
Just my opinion - with a dash of experience... and I know this will probably upset a few.... but.... that's the mistake you made. :roll:
Now I've traced the reference over yesterday's free hand sketch - and I went speechless ... πŸ€”
I thought I did it too bad, but the projected picture was matching nicely my free hand sketch?!
Just minor places were off, like the hair edge line, and a bit of the lips, hmmm... the eyebrows needed adjustment too, but other than this very accurate surprisingly?
What you think?
I think you did a truly wonderful job with free-handing! The only slight inaccuracy I noticed was omitting the subtle bend in the left-hand crease from the nose to mouth.

OK, back to the "mistake"...

Like you, I used to ask for approval from my client before beginning a drawing. But that was a MISTAKE on two counts.

First, the client cannot see inside my head. They didn't know what those initial guidelines would become.

And, second...

They are not artists. They don't know or understand the process. They are, in my opinion, paying for my experience and expertise, so it seems unfair to ask them for input into something it's my job to provide.

Think of this way.... If I ask a builder to build a brick wall, I don't expect him to show me the bricks and ask if the mortar is the correct mix and consistency. That's not my job.

Eventually, I learned to accept only commissions that I knew I'd enjoy, and that I knew would have a good outcome. I'd complete the drawing (be it a head-study or a full scenic drawing) and then... and ONLY then... I'd submit the finished work for approval before invoicing for payment.

On a more personal approach, I also never took deposits, so I could dump a job if it was going pear-shaped... but I think that only happened once. :oops:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thank you Mike for your good advice.
I do understand your point of view, it's also based on your great experience πŸ‘
Yes, that was unnecessary what I did, but at that moment I felt I'm suppose to ask whether they accept free hand, or prefer traced outlines...?
I know this family for nearly as long as I'm living in this country, and *their (*I'm thinking of them all) mom/grandmother is to them like holly woman - therefore I wanted to make sure they will approve my attempt, whichever way πŸ˜‰
Commissions.
If you had time to follow description, I don't do commissions since this year Mike.
I went through unpleasant customer complaint, and I decided - that's it, I'm done.
Now I do drawings for my pleasure only.
And yes, this one I accepted because I did consider it to be a good example to include in my poor portfolio πŸ‘
Because it isn't paid for commission I took opportunity to decide what I'd like to draw, and I refused to draw her grandson Bartosz.
Originally I was requested to draw him next to his *holly grandmother...
I did refuse because it wouldn't work well for my portfolio, I mean the way I'd like to update my portfolio with this latest drawing.
I know they weren't happy to hear I will draw the granny Agnieszka on its own only, but they have accepted that fact.
I'm feeling very well regarding above, it's me who is in charge, it's me who decides what I like to draw, and by this I can fully enjoy the drawing.
Based on my experience I know, that I don't really enjoy to draw commissions because usually I'm forced to draw what customer wants, what's not necessarily following my vision for the drawing if that's making sense...
So it is going to be my free gift for the family,
I hope they'll like it πŸ˜‰πŸ‘
They didn't want to being updated, so they saw the beginning/based face shading only.
They are aware of the Birch tree is planned to exist, but they didn't see it, and they won't until the portraiture is finished.
I'm very curious what they will say when I bring them the final drawing home...
Also I know, that shared pictures through the mobile device aren't matching the eyeball judgement.
I was told many times that the client couldn't be fully appreciate for the drawing, until he was looking at it holding it in his hands...
The picture is very small on to mobile device's screen, usually the colours/shading is misleading too, due to camera, white balance imperfections...
In real light, and real size everything looks much better πŸ˜‰
I do like it already, and it will be nice piece of drawing included to my short portfolio 😁
*You are obviously very right dear Mike by saying, that showing first steps to the client isn't making sense, and may cause further confusion.
They usually don't know the process, may take it as this is the final look, they can not predict next steps, and ask for permission is misleading, because they can not read my mind, nor be aware of the picture in my mind πŸ‘
As I said I don't do commissions anymore, and I know that every each family member will like to have a printed copy of this drawing, so I wanted to start it the way they will approve - if that's making sense.
Also based on my experience sharing the progress isn't good idea either πŸ˜…
I remember some time ago while I started other commission - I was told to correct this feature or other feature...
Then I've asked back being upset - what exactly you (client) refer to - if there's nothing really drawn more than basic shading yet?!
He went back - owwww, I thought you wanted to leave that lips too light...
I did repeat - what lips?, it's just lightly shaded lips to be worked out then, nothing else was done yet...
So yeah - sharing the process through may lead to confusion and unnecessary harsh conversation 😁😁😁

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: ↑Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:30 pm Yes, that was unnecessary what I did, but at that moment I felt I'm suppose to ask whether they accept free hand, or prefer traced outlines...? I know this family for nearly as long as I'm living in this country...
I understand. No - I really do ;) But... in this case the freehand was very, very close to traced. So, how the guidelines, or "blocking out" in this case, is produced is immaterial. It's what you do with it that counts, and your client has no idea of how that might work out. You do... but you have no way of showing that, except for completing the drawing.
Now I do drawings for my pleasure only. ...it's me who is in charge, it's me who decides what I like to draw, and by this I can fully enjoy the drawing. Based on my experience I know, that I don't really enjoy to draw commissions because usually I'm forced to draw what customer wants, what's not necessarily following my vision for the drawing if that's making sense...
That makes a lot of sense, And that's the reason I stopped accepting commissions. They get in the way of what YOU want to draw :) I was told that would happen by an artist, shortly before I turned professional. At the time I didn't believe it... but I very soon did :D
So yeah - sharing the process through may lead to confusion and unnecessary harsh conversation 😁😁😁
QED! Which translates as "told yer!" :D

But I still understand why you felt lt the need to do it. ;)
Mike Sibley

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:10 pm but you have no way of showing that, except for completing the drawing.
AGREE πŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
They get in the way of what YOU want to draw :)
EXACTLY this is how I felt Mike πŸ˜‰πŸ‘
But I still understand why you felt lt the need to do it. ;)
THANK YOU 😁

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I've had a day off today, I wasn't after any of overtimes (they're always short with drivers!? πŸ˜…), lol πŸ˜…πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
I can't work without any break, can I? πŸ˜…
So I did enjoy drawing this portrait today fully!
Two sessions has been processed today, and this is looking like this so far...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

You're definitely capturing her personality. Keep going! :)
Mike Sibley