Free hand portraiture attempt...

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Free hand portraiture attempt...

Post by PogArtTi »

I tried to shape the face of this wise woman today, just by looking at reference...
You know, eye ball attempt, without any known tricks to make the proportions right.
So this is the result.
Not very close, but not too far either I hope.
I know I'm suppose to practice free hand sketching to improve results, but it's so much quicker to transfer reference by projector ... πŸ˜’
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Re: Free hand portraiture attempt...

Post by PogArtTi »

Don't know what to say πŸ€”
I did share the above free hand sketch to the friends, who did ask me to draw this portraiture...
I have explained it's rough free hand base layer only, and I explained I can do trace it with projector as well, if they think my hand sketch is off, and if they don't recognise their mom/grandma...
After short time they have requested to trace it with projector.
I assumed they think my free hand is very off, thus they want me to make the face features more precisely by tracing.
I don't mind it at all, therefore I asked first what is their feeling.
Now I've traced the reference over yesterday's free hand sketch - and I went speechless ... πŸ€”
I thought I did it too bad, but the projected picture was matching nicely my free hand sketch?!
Just minor places were off, like the hair edge line, and a bit the lips, hmmm... the eyebrows needed adjustment too, but other than this very accurate surprisingly?
Wow, it seems I did not do too bad yesterday, didn't I ?
πŸ€”
What you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

*Quick update...
After I've traced the face I've began to carry on shading...
What you think so far?

It's not a commission, I don't do commissions from this year...
I have an old friend of mine, well, she's maybe not actually honest friend 🀣, but I know her for ages - let put it this way πŸ˜πŸ‘
It's kind of family matter too, because she's an elder sister of my sis in law husband...
What I mean - I felt I can not refuse.
The drawing is of their (her) mother, everybody of this family members loves that woman.

I was requested to draw Bartosz as well, it's the subject's grandson.
I did refuse.

They weren't happy, but as long as this isn't commission, and I'm not asking for any money - I want to choose what I'd like to draw.
Bartosz is ok, but I don't like him that much to draw him for free πŸ˜‰, so I chosen not to - if you know I mean 😁
He doesn't look good enough to me to compliment this drawing, his head is nearly as twice bigger, and to fit him too, both faces would had to be much smaller, which would will lead to have the grandmother's head (face) very small on the drawing - I didn't like it at all.
In my opinion the major subject would have got pushed away from the center of interest...

My idea was - any of the family members can print a copy of this drawing, and be pleased having it on the wall, but not necessarily together with Bartosz, if you know I mean.
If I manage to draw it nicely, then I can include it to my portfolio, so portraiture of nice looking wise woman would be of my interest much more πŸ‘

She likes the Birch tree, which she had planted at the front of the window when she gave a birth to her son Tomas.
The tree (and Tomas) are at age of 50 now...
I wanted to add something to make this portraiture interesting, yes you've guessed, it will be the Birch tree πŸ‘
I'm not sure of how to place the tree yet, probably I'll do it trusting to my spontaneous intuition as usually 🀘🀠

So sorry for sharing a deep story behind this drawing, not sure why I did so...

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm using random pencils for shading, then I'm blending with tortillion, or brush, or suede leather, any technique really, that I feel will suit best...
Building up the skin texture...

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I thought your original free hand sketch was amazingly close to the reference photo! I imagine they only wanted more detail especially if they’ve seen your other work. I actually really like the way the neck fades out gently to nothing now. It’s perfect the way it is, and that lets the viewer focus on the face details.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thank you Laurene very much!
I don't deny it's a great challenge to me to please them with the final effect...
I was asked to fade away/smooth these wrinkles around, so I'm trying blend the wrinkles instead of digging into deep detail.
I feel like I'm suppose to become a PhotoShop in here πŸ˜…πŸ‘

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm again a bit behind, but trying catch it up with some (even little bit) of progress.
Today I was playing to fit the Birch tree (branch)...
All I know is that I wanted it start from the bottom, and fade away at the back, wrapping nicely the subject around.
So hear we are, a bit of free hand joy to draw the tree 😁
I decided the bottom of background will be pitch black, then fades away a bit at the right hand side...
At the moment I don't know how it'll be around the head, as I'm considering to draw some Birch leaves somewhere...
Not sure if I do, but I'm thinking it'd be good to add some sample of leaves to point the type of the tree πŸ€”
Or It won't be necessary, because the texture and colour of the Birch tree is very characteristics on its own, isn't it πŸ€”

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Attempting to build up the texture on to the Birch bark...
The part below the chin is suppose to be more in focus - then the farther it goes the more faded away it is (I think 😊).

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Just been too busy at work, overtimes and inline skating to work is taking all the energy I'm capable of πŸ˜…
So I did skip few days on my drawing, but just have managed to do tinny bits today though πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
I am improving the Birch tree every time I feel it's necessary to make some additional touches here and there.
I have shaped the scarf that's surrounding the neck just now...
As you see, I'm trying to keep the bottom of the neck out of focus.
One reason is to *PhotoShop πŸ˜‰ the signs of the old age on her neck and the chin, what I was asked for, and second reason is to attract the viewer to her face rather than her aging if that's making sense.
I'm combining nearly all pencils I have, and also the techniques to apply graphite, including blending with brush, or with cotton ball, or just with the pencils..., basically anything that I feel may work.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Her expression is so subtle here. I’m enjoying seeing her smile develop. I β€˜m interested in seeing your vision for the tree develop.