Free hand study...

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Free hand study...

Post by PogArtTi »

It's just practice that I carry on for some time.
Long story in short -> my sister is handing these drawings over to her favourite cat's rescue, for funds raising πŸ’ž
It was meant not to make me too busy drawing those quick charcoal sketches, so I kept it very loose styled.
I didn't enjoy charcoal though, I didn't like my sketches too much, I didn't feel for it.
This one is to be different [I've spoken to my sis already].
I like to learn something while sketching - I didn't care about charcoal, but pencils -> I do 🀘🀠
So here it goes - my first graphite sketch meant to give me some daily routine inspiration, and practice πŸ˜‹
I've drawn basics today, just shaping the portrait 😁
*Arches Aquarelle (A4).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Re: Free hand study...

Post by Mike Sibley »

I think you've really got a good feel for the cat. Already, it's looking soft and fluffy and... well, very cat-like :roll:
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:40 pm it's looking soft and fluffy and... well, very cat-like :roll:
Well, that's the main thing to let people recognise what the subject is 😁😁😁
So I'm taking your words for succeed in this matter Mike πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
(Just joking πŸ˜πŸ‘)
But seriously - thanks a lot for kind words Mike πŸ‘
I'm trying to do it as a daily short routine, but I didn't manage yesterday...
Today I've focused on cat eyes, just digging a little bit into detail in there...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Lovely eyes. Very expressive. And those highlights are just perfect... hugging the curve of the cornea, and so liquid!
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Mike Sibley wrote: ↑Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:56 am Lovely eyes.
Thank you very much Mike!
I'm overwhelmed with your kind words πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
I may share the original then, so you may like to have a look 😁
It's rescued cat, my sis posted me this photo, because she was considering to foster him...
But she has 2 cats already, so it is bothering her whether she can take any more... πŸ’”

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

I love it Artur! The strokes look natural and effortless which gives the drawing a lot of life. It’s good to get away from obsessing over details and it’s so satisfying sometimes to produce a drawing we can be proud of in a relatively short time. And all for a great cause too!

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Thanks a lot for keen comment 😊
I'm happy you like it!
Yes, I began with loose brush strokes around to shape the cat, it's meant to be a base layer.
From now on I'm planning to build up the fur texture, to leave it loose at first, but then make it more detailed on cat face, in hope to achieve the focus point.
Let see how it goes πŸ‘

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Some more drawing before I go to work ... πŸ˜‰

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

yep! You have the cat eyes and the cat fur. I am always impressed by artists who can catch the essence of a subject with a minimalist approach.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Great update Artur! Will you give him black whiskers? I think it would work well with the values you have.