Spirit of the horse

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
ElaineH

Spirit of the horse

Post by ElaineH »

4A2F1957-DB5C-4BC2-A1E8-B60E8D2F6F55.jpeg
Having previously drawn mostly animal portraits from reference images, I would like now to focus on something different, and find this more enjoyable. This drawing has been put together from three separate images, and I have not attempted to replicate the details of them. There is obviously more work to do on the beach and foreground foam patterns, Then for the horses! How much detail do I need to include? Detail is required on the manes, but I wonder if the bodies would work as more of a tonal drawing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: Spirit of the horse

Post by Laurene »

I love your composition Elaine. In my opinion if you’re sculpting the muscles using shadows as you’ve done here, you can keep the detail and texture in the waves. I think that type of contrast helps the horses stand out. Your horses are beautifully rendered!

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Thank you very much Laurene. I am pleased to read that you also think definition of the horse's muscles with shading is sufficient.
I actually like the contrast between the detail in the waves, and lack of detail on the body of the horses, although it does seem slightly counter intuitive as they are in the foreground.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

It's very interesting picture, the composition creates some interesting view...
To me the force, and kind of fear created by the waves matching very well the expression of power and beauty of these horses...
I do very like it!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

This is thoroughly delightful! And I completely agree with Laurene - This is horse-focussed because they are less detailed than the waves.

They do still need some work, but I'd call the left-hand one finished (apart from the body). Then, if the right-hand one doesn't dominate the other, I think you'll have a surprisingly lovely balance. "Surprisingly" because, as you mentioned, the waves should dominate... but they simply don't - they just feed my eye into the horses.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Thank you very much PogArt and Mike for your comments. I had intended adding more detail to the face of the horse on the left, but wasn't sure that it was necessary. It is good to know that I don't need to do so. It has been 'put aside ' for a little while to allow time to think about how to complete it! I can honestly say that this has been the most enjoyable drawing I have done so far.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I have some picture to draw for my friend.
Basically it is very similar waves, and she's facing them showing her back to the viewer ...
I've never drawn any waves so far, I'm not sure if I can manage, so that drawing is waiting for it's time since last year 😁
I wish I could draw my waves the way you did 👍👍👍
Very good waves, very realistic 🤘🤠
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Nicely done Elaine. Ditto to what Mike said. I look forward to seeing the final result

JayS

Post by JayS »

Would really love to see the progress on this. Such wonderful work. The waves are supurb!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

JayS wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:14 pm Would really love to see the progress on this.
Me to, Elaine! Update! Update! :D
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net