Red-tailed hawks

EXHIBITION ONLY. Post your Graphite Pencil masterworks here!

Moderator: ElaineH

Laurene

Red-tailed hawks

Post by Laurene »

This was the first time I tried my hand at something more complex that a straight portrait, creating a composition of my own. As I recall, I had planned a study of the hawks face when Mike challenged me to try something a little different.

The idea was to try to tell a story through a drawing. I researched the hawks natural history and came up with several facts, such as although they migrate their winter range stretches as far north as southern Canada, so a snow scene made sense. They mate for life and remain paired outside of nesting season. They often hunt in pairs and find a high perch to scan for prey. Research like this made a daunting task much easier!

Oh, and all of this happened on a previous forum. If Mike hadn't challenged me, I wouldn't have thought I could do something like this. I still believe that forums are one of the best ways to grow and learn as an artist.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ElaineH

Re: Red-tailed hawks

Post by ElaineH »

This is so atmospheric Laurene, I love it . I was interested to hear how you researched the subject and turned it into a story rather than a portrait. Did you feel differently about the drawing after investing much more of yourself in it?

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Yes I did. It's much more enjoyable to bring your own vision to life on paper!

There's more to the research than what I wrote here. The male and female hunt as a pair. If they spot a prey animal, one of the hawks will fly off and circle behind the prey driving it toward his/her mate. I had a good reference for the front hawk getting ready to fly from it's perch but Mike generously provided the reference for the standing hawk!

The forest was taken in part from a photo taken after a snow storm from the second story of my sister's house. Once I had created the story in my mind, it was easier than I thought to create it on paper.

Tim8031

Post by Tim8031 »

Excellent job very atmospheric and slightly mystical experience

melblfk

Post by melblfk »

This makes so much sense. It's really going to help when I have an idea for a drawing but don't really know where to start. Lovely drawing.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Tim ad Mel!

Tim8031

Post by Tim8031 »

Terrific piece. I love your work. I especially your owls. I love owls but their feathers are a special kind of trickery to the eyes. Lol

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I've just realised... as an interesting piece of trivia....

That this paired-for-life duo are rather unique. One is Canadian and the other is British -a Yorkshire bird to be exact. I photographed mine at a game show while it was on display standing on a hook in the ground :)
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

:D Yes! Your red-tail and mine seem to go together quite well!! I always appreciated the use of your reference Mike because it was the perfect fit for mine. I also remember fluffing his feathers a little and adding a few feathers on his legs just to keep him warm in our great white north!! :lol:

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

So beautiful drawing Laurene...
So detailed, and warm feelings regarding those birds bonded together for their lifespan ...
Awesome art 👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*