Hidden garden

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
PogArtTi

Re: Hidden garden

Post by PogArtTi »

It's beautifully drawn indeed!
I wouldn't look for any weak point, because it's very nice looking art to me 👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Oh, it’s lovely! Having just done mine, I know how deceptively difficult it is to depict all of those ridge lines in the shell properly because of the shifting perspective as the shell spirals. It took a lot of Blu-tak!!! You nailed it!

Some shells are flatter and some are more conical, so the light doesn’t hit them all the same way. Mine was more conical I think so I exaggerated the light on the right of each turn of the spiral, and shaded the left side more. Of course, I had to consider the shade down in the crevice between the spirals too. It took a lot of laying down graphite and then lifting with the Blu-tak.

Your shell has LOADS of texture and dimension! I wouldn’t change a thing.

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

Thank you PogArt and Laurene for your encouraging assements. I see things I would do differently now, but sometimes we just have to move on to the next project.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Shmush wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:48 pm but sometimes we just have to move on to the next project.
AGREE 🤘🤠
It's exactly what I'm doing 😉
I'm never happy with my work, so the sooner I move on - the better!
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Laurene wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:57 pm It took a lot of laying down graphite and then lifting with the Blu-tak.
Untrained eye may see just the snail, but we all know how much attention to the detail it takes, and a time to make the snail look that good 👍👍👍

LindasPencils

Post by LindasPencils »

Lovely work Laurene. Snails are pretty to look at, if destructive in my garden.
We had some really rainy weather recently, I was out and when I got home just after dusk by cars' headlights shown on my agapanthus plants and OH. MY. GOODNESS! It was a flipping SNAIL PARTY on the leaves. There must have been about a hundred or more from big to little slime-ing about the long strappy leaves. Then my neighbor told me to bait them because agapanthus are know to harbor snakes because the looooooove the snails and I was giving them a banquet.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Oh wow, the stuff of nightmares!! Might make another great hidden garden drawing though!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Seriously, there's not much to improve on, Mary. It's a delightful snail... that I feel a little sorry for..... because, that's as far as that twig goes, and now he has to go back down :)

On the BAT front... I've caught and/or ejected five more. Regrettably, we also found three in the kitchen - dead down the side of the Aga (cooking range). Not being one to ever waste an opportunity (well, you never know when you might need detail in a bat), these two I kept:
Bats-1000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Oh well, poor creatures 💔
But as you've mentioned, it's great opportunity to have a closer look on details/features Mike.
On the other hand - the life on Earth is so surprisingly impressive.., like on this example - a flying (mouse) 😉👍

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:50 pm ...like on this example - a flying (mouse) 😉👍
And not just a flying mouse... I'm in awe of the way they fly.

Just simple leathery wings... but they're so agile and acrobatic. Perhaps that should be "aerobatic" :) I love watching then swoop and catch moths over our pond. They can change direction within a split-second; and the speed they achieve is rather more than impressive.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net