Hidden garden

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Laurene

Hidden garden

Post by Laurene »

Inspired by Mike's beautiful drawing of a White Peacock butterfly in his NEGATIVE DRAWING, PART2 video, I started thinking of how many secrets a garden holds if we just stop to look.

Well, that led to a little free association... gardens make me think of snails which make me think of mushrooms which make me think of dead leaves... I started to imagine a fantasy world, so I raided Pixabay, and put together a few compositions. I had a lot of fun doing this!

I decided on 2 comp's. Each drawing will be only 5" X 7" and I'm not obsessing over details here. Just having fun. As always, I was drawing under strict supervision. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shmush

Re: Hidden garden

Post by Shmush »

Your drawing partner appears to be very interested in your lovely picture! Even without "obsessing over details " it has a lot of character. We must have similar views of life! I had to search for it but I found a drawing I had done of a snail. Just the snail, no background detail. I have thought of redoing it with detail, but not sure I am THAT interested in doing another snail picture. I was going to paste it here but it doesn't look like I can do that in a reply. I really like how you managed to get the "roundness of the snail's shell in your picture.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

If you use Full Editor rather than quick reply, I think you can do it. There’s a button for Full Editor under the quick reply box. I’d love to see it.

Boblines

Post by Boblines »

Ah! Laurene. The garden!!!! A seemingly endless source of life and inspiration. Walk like Mike, head down, and notice what has remained hidden from one for so long. Here, a snails trail! But which snail and where was it going? There, a butterfly's main wing lying by my studio door, its counterpart some 50 metres away by the kitchen door. What story do they tell.? A bush rat dashes across the path disappearing into the undergrowth while a young tiger snake slithers across the verandah. Seeking food? Seeking new territory? Bull ants disturbed by moving a flower pot angrily search out the threat. Three generations of King Skinks bask on the roof of their home - a decaying partial tree-trunk. A green tree frog croaks from the security of a potted fern. Butterflies, moths, bees, wasps, and seemingly endless procession of birds all inhabit the garden while just over the fence a 'roo admonishes its joey for being too boisterous while the rest of the mob pay no heed. The garden, large or small is a lovely thing and a never ending source of joy and excitement. Even more so if one keeps one's head down.
Love the inquisitive cat too! Had a Siamese for many years which insisted on crawling into bed beside me every night. Oddly, my wife never complained.
Thanks for the post!

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Bob, you create images as beautifully with your words as you do with a pencil! Maybe we should all walk head down like Mike does ( but not too close to each other :D ).

This could be a great group challenge for everyone. Inspired by Mike’s gorgeous White Peacock butterfly drawing and by your wonderful description of an Australian garden, what would your hidden garden conceal? Real or imagined, I’d love to see everyone’s idea of these secret worlds!

Boblines

Post by Boblines »

An excellent idea, Laurene. Ask our illustrious illustration guru what he thinks of the suggestion!!

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

This is fabulous, and I love the way you let your ideas move from one thing to another

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Bob & Elaine. This is more of a sketch than a finished drawing but it's a way of letting your imagination guide you which can be difficult sometimes because we're all so focused on realism. Anyway, it's lots of fun! Here's an update.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Hi Laurene - snails subject!
You know, my problem with snails was - I never knew what's the difference between calling them weather snail or slug 🤔
Until one time resting at our canteen at work between my bus driver friends.
They were talking about gardening, and they were talking a lot about slugs matter...
So I started mixing those two [snail/slug] and at some point I was so confused, and had asked the question WHAT IS WHAT 🤣
This is how I learnt the difference 😁😁😁
The similar trouble in past I used to have regarding - buggy vs pram 🤣😁👍👍👍
Your drawing is so subtle, softly drawn with great addition of the detail Laurene...
I can imagine like those two are heading somewhere, at their unique pace ...
Simply lovely drawing, but so enjoyable at the same time 👍👍👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Thanks Artur. Many people confuse slugs and snails and they're not a favourite subject of gardeners, that's for sure, but they came to mind when I saw Mike's gorgeous butterfly drawing.

I'm calling this one finished. I had challenged myself to come up with 2 or more compositions using the same references, so I'll start on the second one I did that appealed to me.