trying negative space

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Shmush

trying negative space

Post by Shmush »

Here is my attempt at learning what is in the Negative Space part I video. The scan isn't an exact match to the original, but close. I wasn't going to post it because I'm not really happy with the results, but decided feed back might be beneficial.
dark forest 4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laurene

Re: trying negative space

Post by Laurene »

I wish I could help more, but my only observation is that there may be a bit too much detail in the midground of the lower half of your drawing. I'm not sure if these are leaves of more bark texture from other trees, but possibly if this midground was pushed back and blurred so as to show less detail, it might not compete as much with your beautifully rendered trees in the foreground. For example, that area in the upper third of your drawing is wonderful! It has great depth because of the rich darks.

If it helps, I sometimes scan my drawing and try different solutions in a digital program like Photoshop. I also often make copies and experiment on the copy, not on the original. This way I can see what I like before committing to my original drawing.

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

Thanks for the critique and the advice. I like the idea of copies as a way of experimenting. You are right the middle trees show too much detail. I am also not sure how true this scan is to the original. I played around with tones and contrasts in Photoshop but didn't seem to be able to get it to look the way I perceived the original. I couldn't decide if it was just a poor scan or if, as can be the case, I am seeing it the way it really looks but more as an objective observer rather than as the creator.

Shmush

Post by Shmush »

One of the aspects I don’t like about this picture is the repetition of limb shapes on the right hand side, though if I was aiming for a spooky look (which I wasn’t) it might be useful.

Concerning negative drawing, after posting I continue to think about it. I might have realized a few things which might be useful for other learning negative drawing. I think one of the main things I did wrong was trying to create the darkness with force, which probably just crushed the paper. It appears as if Mike allow the graphite to do its job, rather than forcing it. Sometimes different values,
applied in the right order are necessary. Another flaw is lack of sharp edges in some areas.

I suspect my scanning also caused some visual problems. I did apply a fixative, but perhaps not enough. I think I have some reflection causing “highlights’ where there really aren’t any.

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Yes, drawing and scanning dark areas can definitely be difficult. I always have trouble too.

Mike is working on a video now of his latest drawing focusing on negative spaces. It has plenty of dark mysterious spaces so I can’t wait to see how he approaches it!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Laurene wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:52 am Mike is working on a video now of his latest drawing, focusing on negative spaces. It has plenty of dark mysterious spaces, so I can’t wait to see how he approaches it!
Almost done! Hopefully, I'll release it here later today... but I'm having broadband problems this morning.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

Nice attempt of negative aspect ...
I'm not practising at all, I mean like taking a piece of paper and trying things on it...
I think it's wrong 🤔
I do prefer to learn on my drawings instead...
So my drawings always leaving me with doubt, weather they ok, or not at all...
I'm just hoping that I'm learning on my faults, not to repeat them ever again 🤘🤠

[I'll happily watch your tutorial dear Mike when it's done 👍👍👍]
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

PogArt wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:59 pm [I'll happily watch your tutorial dear Mike when it's done 👍👍👍]
It's done! - Finally! It took so much longer than I anticipated. Not just the drawing, the video editing too.

It's here: NEGATIVE DRAWING: Part 2
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

PogArtTi

Post by PogArtTi »

I'm speeding up to enjoy this knowledgeable video RIGHT NOW 🤘🤠
Thank you Mike for QUICK reply & link provided 👍👍👍
*History isn't there for You to like or dislike. It's there for You to learn from it. And if it offends you, even better. Because then You are less likely to repeat it. It's not yours to erase - It belongs to all of us...*