NEGATIVE DRAWING: Part 2

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Laurene

Re: NEGATIVE DRAWING: Part 2

Post by Laurene »

Is it feasible for you to livestream one of your weekend worships Mike? Something similar to a Zoom meeting? That way you can charge attendance as you would for any workshop. People at home can see and listen to your presentation, and draw while your in-person students are drawing. If you can get someone to man the chat on Zoom, we can ask questions. Not sure how to show you our work though. This way you would simply be increasing the number of attendees at one of your existing workshops, and all students would only be committing to 2-3 days at a time. As always, we can all complete our drawings in our own time and post them for you to review.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

ElaineH wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:03 pm I would take part in an online workshop - but don't think you can beat the studio workshops....
There are definitely benefits to the Studio Workshops. There are some things I struggle to describe online - even using video - but are relatively easy when I can just pick up a pencil and show you.
If enough people were interested, would it be feasible to offer both options using the same image?
Certainly it would. Also, I have a number of compositions in store that I've used in the past. For example, I have two grizzly bears on rocks in a forest. It's quite "authentic"... The bears were in their natural habitat - the Rockies. The only "odd" thing is that the bears were in Montana and the scene is in Colorado :D
GRIZZLY_COMP.jpg
Poor online people would miss out on the cake, though!
I've been thinking of charging for Jenny's lunches and cake - and throwing in a free workshop. :) Poor people indeed! Unless.... unless I can persuade Jenny to start up a "Cake by post" business? ;)

Incidentally, I'm hoping to restart the Studio Workshops in September. Dates to be announced very soon. Because of the set-up here, I need all restrictions to be lifted - and that looks likely in September onwards. Let's hope so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Love the grizzly bears!! That would be a fabulous image to use.

Boblines

Post by Boblines »

Count me in MIke!! I'd love to be involved in an online wksp. Studio wksp out of the question. Too long a swim!!!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Boblines wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:39 am Studio wksp out of the question. Too long a swim!!!
Well, that's no excuse! :D

We've had folk here from... USA, Canada, Sri Lanka, France, Italy, Spain, Australia, Israel (at the next one), Germany, and other countries I've forgotten about.

But, online is a good compromise. And, of course, I've taught artists from all over the world online at Drawspace - currently, Germany and USA.

Personally, I don't have a preference. I enjoy teaching, whether it's online or in person.
Mike Sibley

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

OK... so it's not quite what we were discussing, but...

You can now have a go yourself at the Butterfly drawing.

Be bold and enjoy making it your world and not mine. Or just copy mine - it's all a good learning experience.

I've uploaded the references and guideline drawings (versions for printing or tracing), and a copy of my drawing.

Head over now and join in the challenge.
Mike Sibley

rideum51

Post by rideum51 »

I enjoyed all the back and forth between you two. Mike, you went from the first very rough sketch to inventing things as you went along. All the shapes and depth of foliage in the background. that's where you separate the men from the boys, old cliche, I'm still a boy, I do know alot about roofs though. A slope is good minimum 1/4" per foot. Overhangs or gutters one or the other or both. Looking forward to the video.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

rideum51 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:46 am I enjoyed all the back and forth between you two. Mike, you went from the first very rough sketch to inventing things as you went along. All the shapes and depth of foliage in the background... Looking forward to the video.
Well... every so often I take a look at that project and realise, once again, that I really have nothing much to add.

If I made a list of everything I'd want to mention... it's already in NEGATIVE DRAWING: Part 2. And, of course, while I'm making a video that's not going to add much, I'm not working on a video that could be more useful.

I still have all the footage from the White Peacock drawing, and maybe one day I'll put it all together. But, apart from a few aspects of the initial preparation, I think I've said it all elsewhere.

However, reading through this entire thread again has reminded me of the ideas we were having for both online and Studio workshops. I'll definitely be giving some deep thought to those ideas over the next few weeks. Hopefully, I can put a workshop or two together - especially as it's something my last Studio workshop artists were asking for.
Mike Sibley