NEGATIVE DRAWING: Part 2

Post your art and WIPs for critique. Start a discussion or ask questions about all forms of drawing. Mixed media permitted.
Forum rules
You are allowed to post tasteful nudity. To avoid surprise or unwelcome comments, please indicate that it's a nude in the thread title. Also include a warning in the title if there's a possibility of the subject matter causing offence.
Boblines

Re: NEGATIVE DRAWING: Part 2

Post by Boblines »

Thank you Mike for this really quite outstanding presentation on Negative Drawing. ! I am truly learning so very much from your tutorials. Inspired to tackle things I was wary about in the past. Keep up the great work.
As an aside, I live in a small community on the south western tip of the Australian continent. Far from the madding crowd, we have a number of groups here seeking peace, quiet and that mental freedom which goes by the of "enlightenment". Many approaches are on offer: and many are the disappointments and great the disillusionment. I have been thinking of establishing a course for such seekers of peace and tranquility. All I would offer would be a pencil and a piece of paper!
Stay safe.

Bob

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

Boblines wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:02 am Thank you, Mike, for this really quite outstanding presentation on Negative Drawing. ! I am truly learning so very much from your tutorials. Inspired to tackle things I was wary about in the past. Keep up the great work.
Many years ago I came to a conclusion... never worry about what might be - because there's a good chance what you fear will never materialise. That's why (until COVID-19, at least) you had a shy artist organising and running UK, US, and Canadian workshops. If I'd thought about what might be, I'd have never agreed to run the first one :o :lol:

I apply that same thinking to my drawings. If you don't try - you'll never know what you're capable of. Make a plan, draw the guidelines, make a start. Break the drawing down into sections you can manage. If possible, break those down again - maybe split Line from Tone. There'll be plenty of problems to solve along the way, But when you break a drawing down, those problems all become localised and simple to solve.

Before you know it, you've produced a drawing you didn't think you were capable of. You know how you become so involved in a drawing that you really can't see it the way everyone else can? Well... very often, I'd complete a major drawing (say, 180+ hours) and then six months later I'd pick up a print and think.... I really can't believe I drew this :roll:

So, don't think about whether you can do anything. Just jump in and do it.
Mike Sibley
BOOKS : Drawing From Line to Life
VIDEOS : DrawWithMike.net

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Really found this video useful. It’s good to see how basic techniques are combined into a completed work. It did make me realise that I need to continually consolidate the basics in order to move forward. The parts where you made amendments and rectified the butterfly were particularly helpful…so pleased they were included. I tried to comment on the video itself, but was not able to get past the captcha.

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

ElaineH wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:56 am The parts where you made amendments and rectified the butterfly were particularly helpful…so pleased they were included.
When I'd stopped holding my head in my hands and moaning... :roll: I realised it was a positive opportunity to say "Hey, this happens to everyone at some time, and a rescue is almost always possible". Later, I'll release a second video of this drawing, including everything and not just negative drawing related points. I'll show all the steps that lead to its composition, and every decision made (and why) during the drawing. Well, maybe nor every decision... because watching me draw is as exciting as watching paint dry. I'll aim to keep it entertaining :D
I tried to comment on the video itself, but was not able to get past the captcha.
I think that's a browser problem (particularly Safari on iPhone). I just tested it, and it's working as it should (Firefox). Email me your comment, and I'll post it for you.
Mike Sibley

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

Watching you draw is very relaxing and inspiring. I look forward to the second video of this drawing. It would be a good one to attempt to 'draw along' with. How about - some time in the future - a studio workshop covering a drawing such as this from start to finish over the weekend. ???

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

ElaineH wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:06 pm How about - some time in the future - a studio workshop covering a drawing such as this from start to finish over the weekend. ???
That's an excellent idea! And one that never crossed my mind.

Including the composition (if it's a composite)? I think, yes. And I can do that quite simply, because I now have a ceiling-mounted projector and a 100" screen. I could make a short video (using OBS) of the actual process.

Guideline drawing provided? I prefer to do that, because drawing by eye is often feared. All references supplied, of course.

What subject? Something of general interest. Perhaps another butterfly on foliage? Maybe a split scene: half foreground, the other half a receding scene? Something not too taxing, and with a variety of textures.

I run 2-day Weekend Workshops now, but they used to be 3-day. The third day was.... doing what you suggest. Working through a drawing. I just occurred to me that I could resurrect one of those? Like this one:
COMP_Rabbit.jpg
It's a composite. Plenty of different textures. The reference for the rabbit is a little different from the rabbit in the drawing (I liked the pose, but the photo is a little blurry - so we use a second photo to rebuild the detail).

Something like that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Sibley

Laurene

Post by Laurene »

Elaine, that’s a brilliant idea! Count me in Mike if you do organize something like this. People could have the option of drawing along or just watching.

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

I remember that picture well Mike! We did it after the beginners workshop, and it was definitely challenging! A guideline drawing to work with would be good. I usually rely on a light box or a grid, and know that it would take a long time for me to master drawing by eye! As for subject, something similar to the butterfly on foliage would appeal to most people, but a split scene sounds good too. I am enjoying playing around just now with dark dramatic skies and seascapes, but not everyone would be inspired by those scenes. Variety of textures, nothing too complicated, and understanding of principles of composition sound great. I will book my seat!

Mike Sibley
Site Admin

Post by Mike Sibley »

I think we're talking about two different things here: A physical Studio Workshop (that is: here in my studio over a weekend); and an Online "workshop", where we all draw the same subject. I think both are entirely feasible... with some prior thought :)

Where a Studio Workshop can tackle the subject in a couple of days. Online would require a different approach. For one thing, while I'm drawing, I'm not making videos ;)

So - online here at DWM... how about a longer period with a regular meeting point? Perhaps, spread over 2, 3, or 4 weeks. Posting if or when assistance is required, but everyone posts their progress every... Monday?

Sooner or later someone will suggest live-streaming... but, from my viewpoint, that wouldn't work. I can't work and talk at the time. :D Sorry! I know I can't - I tried that with the butterfly drawing, and there are huge gaps in the middle of sentences where I was concentrating on the drawing and had no brain left to complete the sentence. :roll:

If you're interested in an online workshop, along the lines above, please let us know. In the meantime, I'll give it some serious thought. Of course, I already do something similar with my three 8-week courses at Drawspace... but maybe video critiques rather than written would work?

Ideas, folks... I need ideas. And some indication of whether anyone's interested would help too :)
Mike Sibley

ElaineH

Post by ElaineH »

I would take part in an online workshop - but don't think you can beat the studio workshops....shame for the people who are too far away to attend. If enough people were interested would it be feasible to offer both options using the same image? Poor online people would miss out on the cake though!